Would you let your kid pretend she is God?

She is making her sister say all these made up prayers so she can go to heaven.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:27 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, I don't think I would let that go any further. If it were my kids, I would try to nip that in the bud!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 6:28 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Can you explain a little more please?
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:30 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Well, if it depends on how old they are. If they are young, it just may be play, but I wouldn't let it go to long. Once they get older, it could turn into more of a control thing. And i would make sure it truely is just a game and they are both willing participants.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 6:31 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Wow she's very ambitious.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 6:31 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• So one child is praying to another child?
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:33 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• She is telling her sister that she will make her an angel if she does everything she wants her to do. Right now she is "teaching" her about herself as God.
    Anonymous

• I think no... Not so much because I think the gods would care but because I wouldn't want the little one to be so confused...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:43 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• FYI my Dh had his younger brother praying to a crack in the wall... he had him convinced God was in it. So he kind of set himself up as a priest of the broken wall. LOL And when I asked my then-3yo who had drawn on the wall, she said, "God did it." (I said, "Does God draw on the wall?" and, defeated, she said, "No... he draws on paper." Funniest parenting moment EVER.

I think it is VERY normal for kids in the 3 to 8 yo range to play around with those kinds of ideas. It can be manipulative, so you want to make sure that the younger sibling isn't being unfairly coerced, but if it is a fun game for them then I would allow them to flush out their ideas in play, and later on have a lovely chat about what you believe about deity.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 6:43 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• It can be manipulative, so you want to make sure that the younger sibling isn't being unfairly coerced, but if it is a fun game for them then I would allow them to flush out their ideas in play, and later on have a lovely chat about what you believe about deity.

That - as long as they BOTH realize it's only a game, it's fine. If your LO is going to be terrified of disobeying the older one, then you have a problem.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:54 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My daughter does.  She plays SIMS.  Nuff said!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:58 PM on Jun. 17, 2009