Candles in Magick and divination?

Do you practice candle magick? Can you tell me a bit more about it? I know startlingly little about it.

Also if you do pyromancy (using flame for divination) I'm interested in that as well. I don't currently practice any form of divination, but am curious about this one.

No bashing please; if you can't be respectful of Pagan (and other) beliefs and practices, simply move along and start your own question. :-) Thanks!

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 6:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The way I practice candle magick involves buring a candle over a set amount of days. Lighting said candle and saying the incantation. At the last day either burning the candle down or disposing of its remains, depending on the spell. There are many other ways candle magick is practiced. This is how I use it when I practice the craft. As for flame divination I would like to learn more myself
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:38 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Ok, I feel silly. What do you mean by divination?
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 6:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• An interpretation of the future using various methods
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:44 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I love candle magick. Its my preferred way to do anything LOL.

Mostly I anoint the candle(I choose the color based on needs like green for financial issues, or white can be used for everything,etc) with an appropriate essential oil. Sometimes I carve a rune in it too for a little more umph. Then I light it and while doing so I say a short, simple prayer. I write them myself usually and its always about what Im lighting the candle for. Then I focus on the need and the flame and send my energy out to the universe.

I usually let it burn for 15 mins or so and then light it the next day if needed.

Mostly, its about the intent(thats most important). So even if you dont have a color that you read should be used, its alright to substitute another.

I havent really done any particular divination like tarot or crystals,etc.

Here's a color list....

http://www.wicca.com/celtic/bri/cndlcolor.htm
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:01 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Ok, I don't really use candles for that, but I do use them to get answers to questions. As I am lighting the candle I think about the question I have and who/what I want to answer it. I let it burn for as long as I need it to until I feel that I have received the answer I am after. As I am blowing the candle out, I thank the entity/being for it's help and answer.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:55 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I do use candles for meditation purposes and spellcraft. They are easy to find in stores and I have a bevy of colors that I use for specific purposes. I also burn scented oils more than incense (the smoke bothers my sinuses), and use gemstones and crystals. I have tutorials on most of these in my Spiritual Power group, or I can P.M. you.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 10:35 PM on Jun. 17, 2009