it's so embarressing///

how do I get my dog to stop licking his ball sack while we have company? usually i put him away in another room by himself until thepeople leave, but then he whines or howls or makes really loud licking noises. he has been fixed. can't have pups, so why in tarnation is this happening? sometimes there is an odor. sometimes he'll do what i call "the air hump" humping the air. i've already talked to the vet and they didn't have an answer. thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• You may try getting him his own kitty. Dogs like to hump kitties. Find a passive, pretty, fluffy one.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:37 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Ok, I guess I am confused. If he is fixed, what is he licking? Didn't they remove his ball sack? Or did they just snip him? If they didn't remove it, he could be itchy or still getting some of the hormones, just not able to father a litter. I would talk to your vet about having it removed completely. Other than that, try positive reinforcement. Have a few friends over that are comfortable with this situation & leave your dog in the room. If he is sitting quietly, give him a treat. If he starts licking, tell him NO & stop him but leave him in the room. When he is quiet again, give him a treat. If you need to keep him in another room, I would work on crate training him (google it for help) that way he has a safe place to be when you have guests. Good luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 6:39 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Most people understand that dogs do thins. I don't think it is anything to be embarrassed about. Damn, we as americans really sexualize everything. He is just being a dog. No worries.
    Anonymous

• hold him and sprinkle some pepper down there not alot just enough to make him sneeze when he goes for it... black pepper not red, dont wanna give him anymore burning desires. but as for the smell, its coming from his butt not his balls..... take him to the groomers and have them express his anal sacs. thats real, i took animal caretaking and it really works.
    aprildawn27

Answer by aprildawn27 at 6:47 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• it's nonstop. the sound is disgusting and he follows me here and there and does it everyhwere. sometimes he does the air hump thing when i try and take him on a walk. right in the middle of the busy intersection, he decides to air hump and lick. i'm standing there with the dog and nowheres to hide. the mut is obsessed with his parts. maybe pepper, i'll try pepper or even maybe paprika.
    he doesn't like the smell of my unkles' socks, should i rub the areas with it? i've been to one vet about this and called around a couple mlore of them places...none of them knew what to do. please more suggestions, thnks!
    Anonymous

• Oh, I can't stand when dog or cats lick themselves but the noise - oh the noise is bothersome and down right NASTY! I know their animals and that's what animals do and I can take it to a degree but I think that what you described would drive me insane. My dog is a female, fix and really doesn't lick herself at all and when I went to rescue her I was scared that I would get a dog that licks but she doesn't really even lick her paws.

I had an elderly aunt who had a dog and she didn't have the dog groomed much so his fur was long and unkept and he had an odor but what made it worse was the dog seemed like it was chewing his ass. I know he must have had fleas but he couldn't sit still for more than 5 seconds before he was chewing on his butt again. I hated visiting my aunt because of that dog, now both are since past on and I hope they are they're happy together.

I don't have anything to add but I wanted to say Good luck
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 8:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Maybe it's habit. In which retraining is needed. Maybe try giving him a special toy or something only when you have company. Like that hard rubber one that you can stuff treats in. That may keep him busy. My dog was neutered, and he still has a little skin left. I guess it just depends on the vet that does it, how much they leave.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 8:58 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• it looks engorged...kind of reminds me of my in-law's kumquats on her tree blooming. that size..of a kumquat. the smell is coming from his "kumquats"? i didn't think to maybe call the groomers and ask about an odor down there...i just bathed him yesterday again for the 4th time this month.
    what is the cause of the air hump? air hump and then he dry heeves? maybe he's fixing to die. :( i dont' remember him being this way. :( please keep suggesting some suggestions. tell me of your stories. thks ox!
    Anonymous

• I don't even wanna know why this is in the beauty and style section.  Really.  Reading comprehension not your strong suit, huh?  This totally belongs in the "Just for fun" section!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• At least he isnt licking your companies ball sacks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Jun. 18, 2009