Pagans: Deities and children?

My daughters have expressed interest in finding "their" god/dess. They're pretty young, 6 and almost-5... they've been introduced to some different deities through pictures and the like. My 6 yo specifically says she wants a goddess of healing. My 4 yo says she wants to have the same goddess as me. How would you handle this? Would you help them find a goddess, or have them wait for that until they are older? Any ideas are appreciated!

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 6:51 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't have a pull towards any one deity myself. So I would simply teach them about many and see where their pull is, it will change as they grow and mature. IF they show a pull to one now, that's great, focus on that one until they grow and change, then they will connect with others and their views will alter and new ones will form. I see nothing wrong with teaching them aspects of one while they show a connection with that one, and at the same time always introducing them to others. Remember in some native cultures children had no names until ages 3 and 4, they then choose their own names. If children of those ages can be responsible to choose a name for life why not allow them to choose their Goddesses to learn about.

Now, I would not do any dedication to one or another until they are much older and can take those steps themselves.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:00 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Usualy disclaimer - depends on the kid. A few weeks ago, DS told me he wants to be Jewish - because they get presents for 8 days instead of one, He also wants to be a Jedi. Are they expressing interest because they feel a real affinity for it, or are they playacting at being a grownup like Mommy?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:56 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Hmmm I agree with NP, make sure its a true interest and not just cuz you are doing it...that type of thing.
    If they seem interested of their own accord then maybe you could look up specific healing goddesses and maybe ones similar to yours so that your children can know more about them and maybe have them pray or meditate(whatever you do in your home) to see which one feels right to them. Which one keeps popping up.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:47 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I agree with NP and Amaranth
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Makes sense to me. I would wait and see if there is some persistant interest over time, because sometimes though children are intrigued by religious ideas they are too young to make a commitment to any one idea.

Notpanicking, my seven year old wants to be a Sith Lord, so at least your Jedi kid is on the side of good! Ds wants the lightning from his fingers, apparently Jedi can't do that! LOL!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:55 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I don't see a problem. It probably doesn't make ANY difference. A patron goddess will probably change as they grow older and their needs change. The goddess energy is something that we carry within us. It cannot matter what name we choose to call her. My grand-daughter has, for the moment, chosen to follow pastafarianism and the great Flying Sphagetti Monster. But she's also interested in witchcraft and Harry Potter. Go figure.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 10:30 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I would honor their requests bc I believe that children have the right to choose what they believe. If their beliefs change in the future I would roll with that too. Just make sure that you talk with them about why they are doing this and how important it is. Kwan Yin is goddess of mercy, shes a good one for kids.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 10:40 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I agree with what's been said about making sure they are genuinely interested.
    Though I'm sure you're perfectly capable of finding Goddesses on your own, here's a link that I think might be useful in helping you and your children pick a Goddess: http://www.goddess-guide.com/goddesses-for-children-and-teenagers.html

I think that if your children understand that it isn't a game or pretend, then go ahead and let them start praying to specific deities. After all, they can change their minds later on as their needs and interests change. There are many deities for a reason. Or at least that's the way I see it. I think that if/when my daughter gets to that point, I'll have her start learning about other things first (Craft basics that I'll make kid-friendly for her) and maybe let her start setting up an alter. Then as she learns, if she finds a God and Goddess that appeal to her most, I'll help her learn about them to see if they
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:52 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• (continued)
    fit with her and if they are really what she's looking for.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:53 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I saw go with what they are feeling. There could be a reason that your older daughter seems to have an affinity for a healing goddess. It could be just flash interest, or it could be the goddess preparing them for something that is to come. So, go with what they want, but keep them open to the other goddesses so that they will learn why they are on a certain path. As their needs change, so will the goddesses name that they call on. I read it described as how we could see out mothers. When she feeds us, she is the Goddess of Harvst, when she heals us, she is a Goddess of Healing, when she teaches us about love, she is a Goddess of Love... So as our needs change, so does the Goddess. Roll with the punches!!
    NewMom101

Answer by NewMom101 at 1:53 AM on Jun. 18, 2009