Opening a daycare with pets...

I have a dog and a cat and am hoping to open a daycare in the next few months. I was wondering if it is acceptable to have pets in a daycare? I plan on keeping the dog outside most of the time( at least in the warmer months). Aside from the possibility that the kids may have an allergy, is there any drawbacks that you can think of?

Sophia_L

Asked by Sophia_L at 7:04 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Money & Work

• some parents may see them as a threat
    EthansMommy5

Answer by EthansMommy5 at 7:17 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I would see how much your liability insurance will be before getting too deeply into this.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• When I was looking for a daycare for my son one of the ladies told me that by law she had to disclose to parents that she had pets in the house. She had 2 cats, a dog, 2 hamsters and a bird. To me it just sounded like a circus, especially after you add 6 kids to it. Lots of kids are going to have pet allergies, personally I dont want my child coming home with cat/dog hair on him and his stuff. I wouldn't send my son to a daycare with indoor pets. JMO though, other people may not mind it.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 8:05 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My mom has a dog, we had him for years hes 14 now i think...he grew up with me...but now HE HATES kids..theyre loud and chase him around (hes small) and he gets stressed out quickly, kinda like an old man would! lol, but he started biting!!! he bit my oldest cousins little girl, and my youngest cousin! When little kids get in his face im guessing because hes going blind, he panics. Hes not mean and we tell Everyone not to let their toddler in his face, but i wouldnt let my son go to a daycare with a dog for this reason. animals are unpredictable, and its not always the animals fault, kids can be mean to pets..they dont know how to handle em i wouldnt wanna risk it!! and DITTO about the PP and the pet hair, i dont like being coverd in hair, and i dont wanna feel like my son eats it or plays in it all day!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:57 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• That's what I was worried about. I know parents are going to be concerned about all of those things but...

I plan to keep the dog( a pug) outside for the most part. He is only a year old and he LOVES people, but he's very energetic and jumps on people. We have a very nice kennel sort of thing that we built outside (He has a nice big dog house with cushioned floors) and he has plenty of room to run.

My cat is pretty anti-social. He'll probably hide most of the day( He may occasionally come lookin' for love, but that never lasts long)

They aren't allowed on the furniture. and I am a vacuum-a-holic. I am sure there is some pet hair, but I do a pretty good job of taking care of it.

Plus whenever the pets are inside they are upstairs and I plan to do most of the daycare activities downstairs. Do you think if I made sure that all the parents knew all this stuff they would feel better?
    Sophia_L

Answer by Sophia_L at 9:35 AM on Jun. 18, 2009