When and how do you start to transition your baby from formula to solid food?

I know that babies are supposed to be on breastmilk/formula until a year old. I was just wondering how you all went about gradually transitioning from all bottles to food and bottles. My daughter is 8 months old and I am wondering how to go about this.

Sophia_L

Asked by Sophia_L at 7:06 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I waited until 6 months then started with a little rice cereal just to practice eating with a spoon. Then we tried fruit. We would introduce one fruit at a time for 5-7 days to make sure she didn't have any allergies. Then we moved onto other cereals - oatmeal and barley - and gradually added vegetables.

At 9 months, Aubrey has no teeth yet, so she won't even try any solids like puffs or cheerios. She gags on them. But she loves cereal and stage 2 fruits and vegetables. She doesn't like some and others wreak havoc on her little digestive system. But she does pretty well. We are just taking it slow and discovering solids.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 8:27 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• heres a great feeding plan by a formula company that makes baby food too...I was a FFing mom with my first 2 kids but they still were getting about 24 oz a day at 12 months when we swicthed to cows milk
    http://www.earthsbest.com/baby_nutrition/feeding_schedule_print.php
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 7:09 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• You are going to get lots of different opinions on this subject. But here is how I did it:

My daughter's 6 months old, and I started her on veggies last week. She started eating cereal off of a spoon twice a day (breakfast and dinner) at 4 months old. She has quite the hearty appetite, she eats cereal in the morning, a stage 2 baby food at lunch and another at dinner, and then another bowl of cereal before bed, with 4 oz bottles in between.

I would just start her on cereal in the morning if you haven't yet. You can even mix it with her formula instead of water if you think she'd like it better. At 8 months, she might be ready to have food from your plate that you make small enough for her to pick up and eat it. If not, just try her on a stage 2 veggie or stage 3 if you think she can handle it. She might even be ready for to start transitioning to a sippy cup. Good luck!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:12 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• well when a baby is 4 months they are supposed to start eating baby food.. and learning to eat off the spoon.. then around 11 or 12 months u just start out with soft stuff like mashed potatoes french fries. spaghetti crackers ..... ask ur doctor.. maybe cut up hot dogs cut up meatballs basically whatever you eat but in small portions..
    Anonymous

• At about 9 months I starting mixing 1 ounce of reg mild with the 8 oz bottle. By 12 months we did 50/50 or 60/40. We started slow at the beginning because of his reflux.
    Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 7:14 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I started feeding my DD sweet potatoes, bananas, baby oatmeal, avocados and pureed apples at 6mos. I would BF her and about 15min later I would give her solids. At 8mos a let her have puffs and those whole grain cheese doodles from gerber. I like them because she could pick it up and get some chewing practice without the choking fear. She just turned 1 and I feed her whatever I'm eating..I'll run it through the processor if its hard to chew. Always make sure your LO is sitting upright when feeding solids.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 7:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2009