what is the best way to get rid of cradle cap, and how can i prevent it?

mamide3-a-l-j

Asked by mamide3-a-l-j at 7:11 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter had it pretty bad. I would put just a little baby oil on her head and use a baby comb and gently comb the opposite direction the hair grows. You have to do it gently or else her scalp will bleed. My pediatrician said a good way to prevent it is to put baby oil in her hair when you wash it and if it's really bad you can dab it on after the bath. It worked really great for me and never came back!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:15 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• There are simple kits you can buy at any pharmacy. Gently massaging baby's scalp with mineral oil, and gently wiping off flaking skin or gently combing (if she has any hair) will help. It will eventually clear up-by the time her "permanent" hair grows in (after the hair they are born with falls out).
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:14 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• 'TNM786' has it right on. My daughter never had cradle cap, but that is exactly what the doc had advised us to do if it were to become of issue. I recommend using a small baby comb and combing GENTLY, after you allow the baby oil (or mineral oil) **baby oil smells nicer :)** to sit for a few. Best of luck!
    NavyWifeBarb

Answer by NavyWifeBarb at 7:28 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Another really good way is to use skin moisturizer as a condiioner. That's what I use for my teen daughter who still since babyhood has extremely dry skin. She's gotten chunks of dandruff - chunks but since I switched to using skin moisturizer as a scalp conditioner (plus extra bonus it's great for hair as a conditioner). Also Johnson and Johnson body washes are great skin scalp moisturizers. No matter what you use oil or whatever remember just a little bit goes a long way. Enjoy baby!!
    Anonymous

• our dr gave us some cream lol im not sure what it was but the name is mometasona furoate lol she told us to put that on it and to also use eucerin lotion unscented .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:36 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• With Madison I could only bathe her once a week bc of it (the bath makes it loads worse) and then after the bath i had to take a bunch of baby oil , rub it into her head, and scrub it of with a soft washcloth. it worked but it takes a good half hour.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 7:47 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Cradle cap is nothing to be paranoid over. It is not going to hurt the baby, but if you are adamant about it then you can put baby oil in her hair. It is a lot less expensive then the kits from Wal-Mart. It will make her hair really greasy looking and feeling and will take a few washes to get out completely.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 7:58 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I used a dab of baby oil and a soft toothbrush. Let the baby oil sit on there for a couple of minutes to soften up the dry skin patches, then very gently brush them off. I agree, her hair was a little greasy for a couple of days, but we only had to treat it once, then it never came back.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 8:18 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Baby oil contains harmful ingredients. Better to massage a natural oil like olive or coconut into baby's scalp before bathtime. Avoid using trying, toxic baby soaps like Johnson's and Baby Magic, too. Use a natural/organic baby wash or better yet, just plain old water!
    ap.sahm

Answer by ap.sahm at 8:19 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• baby oil actually causes cradle cap. the pediatrician said stop putting baby oil in ds's hair. i did and he never got cradle cap again. also the pedi said to use dandruff shampoo like head and shoulders. i did and that helped a little bit but 2 weeks later he still had it so i literally just picked out all the flakes with my fingernail while he was sleeping. his head never bled but that was how i got rid of it b/c the shampoo wasn't working, and oil just made it worse.
    Anonymous