how do you?

How do you personally define judging someone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Judging someone to me means that you are making assumptions on ones character without knowing their full story.

Ex. A person is dressed punk.. some will automatically assume they are on drugs.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:08 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• umm.. i'd say talking about what they do in a bad way.. and saying they are wrong for they way they do things
    Anonymous

• I define it as having preconceived ideas about a person before knowing them. That thinking they are this way or that way because of how they look or things they have done.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:25 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• To me it's not so much about judging. I don't tolerate alot of things. There's a difference.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:29 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Judging is making an assumption about a person based on what they do or how they do it. Saying that a woman who doesn't take care of her children-doesn't take care of her children is not a judgment. It is the truth. Saying that a woman who doesn't take care of her own cildren is a bad mother is a judgment.

And we all make judgments about other people. I don't think that there is any way to avoid it. But, we can keep our judgments to ourselves. Something we all need to work on.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 7:31 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I say personally attacking someone. Or like tnm said, having preconceived notions about how someone lives their lives.

Example:

NOT judging:
    "You know it's breast is best, right?"
    This is stating a well-known, proven fact. No matter what you choose, breast is always best. (And I'm a formula feeder, but that's beside the point.)

JUDGING:
    "OMG YOU SUCK BCUZ U DONT BREASTFEED LOLZZZZ!!!1111!!1"
    That's an attack against someone's character. This is obviously judging someone. How is this person to know if the other person really DOES suck or not?
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:32 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• oops-children
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 7:32 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• "I define it as having preconceived ideas about a person before knowing them."

That is actually more like a prejudice. Not a judgment.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 7:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

That is actually more like a prejudice. Not a judgment

Both true and untrue. Prejudice is not liking someone because they are different than you. Judging is thinking a person is or isn't something before you even truly know whether they are or not. I guess they are kind of alike, IMO.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:45 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I personally see it as criticizing someone who makes different choices than you do.  For instance, to use caitxrawks example of breastfeeding.  If you believe that breast is best then breastfeed your children but you have no right to criticize some one else for choosing to bottle feed.

Note that my use of the word "you" is general not specific.  Thank you and carry on big smile mini

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:07 PM on Jun. 17, 2009