Toddler teeth brushing?!

My son does not like getting his teeth brushed. All he wants to do is suck on the tooth brush. Any ideas tips or tid bits to actually brushing a toddlers teeth?

Ad3n_M0mmy01

Asked by Ad3n_M0mmy01 at 7:20 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yeah we had a rough time till I got him the sponge bob electric tooth brush. He loves it! I tell him I'm going to tickle his teeth and he is all for it. It is quicker and does a better job then a regular tooth brush.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 7:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• We sing songs I made up, and I have a toothbrush that blinks for 60 seconds so when the light goes off they can stop.

(sung to Where is Thumbkin?"

Brush your tee-th, Brush your tee-th,
    Open wide, Open wide,
    First you go 'round and 'round,
    Then you go up and down,
    Side to side, side to side!

Repeat about a dozen times! LOL

I also have them dip their toothbrush in an anti cavity fluoride rinse and dab brush their teeth, when they don;t want to use toothpaste...it's better than nothing!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:25 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My daughter doesn't like to have her teeth brushed either. I sing her a song that I stole from Grease. During the slumber party scene, the brusha brusha brusha commercial. I just sing my own version of it and make faces at her. When she smiles I start brushing. If I make it a game, she seems to accept it more. And I usually hand the toothbrush to her when I am done so she feels like she is doing it herself.

I have had much better brushing experiences using this charade. And I kind of have fun doing it.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 7:26 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I have no clue, my son is just about 11 months and I just bought him a little tooth brush and flouride free toothpaste to start the training process. I have horrible teeth myself, I have never taken care of them very well. I am determined that my son will have good oral habits despite his mothers aweful ones. He has 8 teeth already and a couple more I can feel coming in!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 7:31 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My son has the same SpongeBob brush and loves it. Also he really likes to 'do it himself'. So he gets a turn and then mommy gets a turn. I think that helps a lot. Also I brush when he does that way he knows that everyone has to do it, not just him.
    MaMa0907

Answer by MaMa0907 at 9:02 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Try to find a brush with a cartoon he likes. Maybe a musical one. Plus, brush your teeth too. If he sees you brushing he might be more willing to go for it.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 9:07 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My son got to pick out his toothbrush (Elmo) and we brush together. He has a toothpaste that is "fruit flavored" (the no flouride stuff).. Mommy brushes his "smile" and "tickles" his teeth, we "top it off" with brushing his tongue and "tickle his tongue." Then he brushes and helps mommy. FYI, if you let them "help" you brush, be prepared for a few "jabs" of the toothbrush to your cheeck or making you gag. LOL
    ShawnaLT1

Answer by ShawnaLT1 at 9:14 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• What finally worked for us is before or after he brushes (when is his choice) I 'count' his teeth. He loves counting so as I brush I count each stroke. I can often get 2 minutes of brushing this way.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 1:56 AM on Jun. 20, 2009