what do you guys do for a fever besides medicine?

104.5 and givin mortin already

mommieward

Asked by mommieward at 7:35 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ok, I know everyone is telling you to go to the hospital, yes that should be done however I got my son's 106 fever down with the nurse on the phone under her guidance (everyone do not think I am bad mom for not taking him to the er, the nurse was advising me what to do so I wouldn't have to go). I immediately dosed the Motrin as you did and Tylenol. From that point of dispension continue giving both meds, Motrin every 6hrs and Tylenol every 4. Then after the meds are in, cool bath and sponge his/her continually. After about 30 minutes of the cool bath with the both the meds in my son's fever dropped dramatically. He/She should sleep in their undies with no blankies to keep them as cool as possible. I would sleep with them to constantly monitor. Remember some kids run high fevers like mine and do not get febrile sezures. Others do not do so well. You are the mom you use your instincts. Take care and good luck!
    lovemyboysx2

Answer by lovemyboysx2 at 9:43 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• luke warm bath, cold rag, a lot of love
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 7:37 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• that high...hospital
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 7:38 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• That high I would have gone into the doctors but rub alcohol on the sole of the foot it brings it down. Look warm baths work too.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 7:39 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• i would be at the hospital but dont bundle them up! All that does is keep in the heat from the feaver...
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 7:41 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Thats way to high. You need to take him to the hospital right now. Thats dangerous. Anything over 103.5 should be seen by a doctor immediately. High fevers can cause brain damage or death.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 7:41 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Oh and about the bath thing make sure its not to cold though because the body can go into shock.
    Shelii

• Have him/her sip ice water
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 7:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• That is a high fever, something else is going on for it to be that high, you can give what ever med you want but until you know the root cause it will not go away. I would call his Dr if they have a answering service, if not I would go to the ER. Too high a fever for too long can cause brain damage.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• i have called doc and appointment tomorrow, but just see what other moms out there do to make them comfortable? at least for the night.
    mommieward

Answer by mommieward at 7:46 PM on Jun. 17, 2009