What do you keep your flour in? And Where do you keep it?

Right now I have my wheat flour in the fridge but my white all purpose is in the cubards.

tiggerzshorty

Asked by tiggerzshorty at 8:01 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Food & Drink

• My grandmother keeps it in a plastic container in her cabinet. I keep mine in the bag in the fridge or freezer.
    Anonymous

• I put some in a canister that seals on my counter && whatever is left in the bag, I put in the refrigerator.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 8:09 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I keep mine in tin canisters on the counter or did until the other day when I found bugs in it. Yuck! Now I gotta find a new place to store it.
    NicMorgan

Answer by NicMorgan at 8:11 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I have mine in a large plastic pail in the pantry - it used to hold hot chocolate for restaurant before we got it.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:14 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• you will get bugs in your flour if you don't put it in the freezer!!
    Anonymous

• The yucky thing about weevils is that the eggs are already in the flour, or whatever in your cupboard. In the right heat, they will hatch and grow to those little black bugs in the flour. It really depends on the room temperature in your house as to where you can keep grain products. When we lived in Phoenix, AZ I used to keep my flour, sugar, corn meal, oatmeal,and corn starch in the freezer. Now that we live where it is 20 degrees cooler, I keep most of it either on the counter or in the cupboard. Haven't had a problem yet (knock on wood!)

mamahud

Answer by mamahud at 8:51 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I only use whole wheat pastry flour; I keep it in the freezer because whole grains can get rancid quickly

Answer by rkoloms at 10:13 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• what is your all purpose white flour made from?

Answer by rkoloms at 10:14 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I have big Tupperware containers that hold a 5 lb bag, and it's in the cupboard.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 12:35 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I buy my flour and sugar for the coming year at the Holiday Season because the price is lowest then. I buy 100 pounds each usually in 25 pound bags. Although sometimes the 5lb bags are cheaper depending on the sale. I put 3-5 pounds in a large Tupperware container that I keep in the Pantry and the rest I put in airtight food storage buckets that I keep under the stairs. If your store has a bakery, they get their icings in large buckets that they toss when empty. If you ask, they will give them to you for free. You will have to clean them. Hot soapy water followed by a 75% water/ 25% vinegar mix to rinse, and then a plain water rinse works great. They require a special opener that you can get at the hardware store (the one that opens the plastic paint buckets- about $5) but the buckets last forever. The buckets are stackable and keep everything fresh since they are airtight.
    Jamjar5174

Answer by Jamjar5174 at 8:49 AM on Jun. 18, 2009