Breastfeeding and birth control

what form do you all use?

shiasmommy41209

Asked by shiasmommy41209 at 8:12 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Condoms on occasion. I don't do hormonal BC and as soon as my cycle starts back, it will be NFP.

Anonymous

• I was on the depo shot when I was bf.
    NicMorgan

Answer by NicMorgan at 8:14 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• i have a paragaurd IUD. mine last for 12 years and has no hormones to mess with my supply
    doosti

Answer by doosti at 8:14 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I was given a birth control pill that was specifically for breastfeeding women, although I can't recall what it was called.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 8:16 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Natural Family Planning (NFP)
    ap.sahm

Answer by ap.sahm at 8:17 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• the pill the other poster is talking about is call the mini pill. i you do take that be careful.my doc said i could use it but i got the iud bc when i looked into the mini pill i found out u have to take it at the same time everyday(i know its that way with the pill) but if u even take it 30 mins late u can get pregnant.
    doosti

Answer by doosti at 8:25 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• NFP!
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 8:25 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• We're using the Fertility Awareness Method and condoms during fertile periods.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 8:32 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I'm also on the minipill -- it's progestrone only (no estrogen), and the brand I have is called Jolivette. As pp said, you have to take it at the exact same time every day, but if you do, it's more effective than condoms. Just a word for the wise, it can be really hard to track fertile periods while breastfeeding... and some of us unlucky women begin ovulating at 6 weeks post-partum while nursing around the clock (happened with both my daughters). I'm not saying to judge anyone who does this for religious beliefs, etc, but if you're looking at different options...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:21 PM on Jun. 17, 2009