My 9 month old has diarrhea can I get some advice?

She's had it since last night. I don't know what's causing it and she doesn't have a fever.

At what point should I call her doctor if this continues?

Any foods I should avoid feeding her?
Any foods I could give her to help it get better?
Any other help or suggestions?
This is the first time we've dealt with this so I'm totally clueless (except on the keep her hydrated part... we're doing that.)

julipickle2

Asked by julipickle2 at 8:22 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• monitor her for hydration.
    if she has a decrease in tears or wet diapers call doc asap
    try giving her only perdialite for the rest of the night and morn and see if it helps
    good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:29 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Give her some pedialyte. If you can't afford that, gatorade is just a watered down version. Most likely she is cutting teeth, and you just didn't know it. My daughter keeps doing that too, and as long as she is eating, she won't dehydrate. Watch her gums, if they start to become white, not at the top like you are looking for teeth, but all around, then she is becoming dehydrated and talk to your doctor or take her to the hospital. Other than that, there is not much you can do if she doesn't haVe a fever. Maybe give a little motrin in case she is in discomfort from teething.
    samanthaevans

Answer by samanthaevans at 8:31 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Did she eat something new? Any chance she's teething? Some babies have diarrhea with teething. If it lasts 24 hours or longer, I would see a doctor just to make sure it's not bacterial. It's a good sign that she doesn't have a fever, but you don't want to take any chances. I would stay away from fruit and try a little pedialyte.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 8:32 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Gosh I feel for you. My Daughter was sick with the Rotavirus (never had a fever) and had diarreha for a week straight. She had to be admitted to give fluids on the 3rd day. They said to give her pedialyte to keep her hydrated and the brat (bananas, rice, apple sauce and toast) diet to make her stools more firm. I hope that helps!
    mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 8:59 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• If you mix any cereals in with her food, I would suggest giving her extra rice cereal. This always stopped up my little one pretty quickly.
    Nicki_O

Answer by Nicki_O at 11:30 AM on Jun. 18, 2009