ok so.......

my son is 22 mos old && still in a crib. I had planned on transitioning him to a toddler bed on his 2nd birthday. He goes to bed at 7p every night. He learned how to open doors last week && about 10 min ago he came running up here to the living room.......which means he also just learned how to climb out of his crib TODAY!!! So I guess I'll be transitioning him a little sooner than originally planned...lol.

anyway, my question is how did you get your toddler to STAY in the bed when you put them in a big boy/girl bed??

HisMommySince07

Asked by HisMommySince07 at 8:35 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My husband and I put up a baby gate in our sons door way after he goes to bed. We can still hear him and look in on him with out him being able to run around the whole house. Also there's nothing in his room he's not free to play with. He'll be three in September and we've had him in a toddler bed for about six months. There are deffinately nights where he fights it more then others but if we hear him up and playing we'll just peak our head around the corner and tell him to get back in bed. I think that's all you really can do. Good luck.
    MaMa0907

Answer by MaMa0907 at 8:57 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Oh wow, when you get an answer I hope it helps LOL, that is the hardest thing, kids that age almost have to fall asleep standing to get them to be still. My two youngest are 7 and 9 and they still get up after bedtime for more hugs, kisses or to tell us something lol. I dont mind tho
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:38 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• yeah, right now I just keep going in there && putting him back in bed. that's all I know to do, I guess it's just something they have to learn, huh?? oh well then, so begins a new chapter with a new challenge....lol.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 9:02 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My DS was 3 1/2 and still in his crib, with the side down. He could get in and out by himself with easy. He learned how to "defeat" the round door knob "toddler locks" by beating them with a toy and breaking them off, so we just went straight to a twin bed (bunk beds actually) and keep putting him in his bed when he gets out. We tried rewards for staying in his bed/room, like stckers or whatever, didn't work. He is 4 now and still gets out for an extra "song or kisses." It's too cute, most of the time.
    ShawnaLT1

Answer by ShawnaLT1 at 9:11 PM on Jun. 17, 2009