is it true there is certain foods you have to avoid if breastfeeding so baby wont get constipated?or colicky?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Colic has nothing to do with mom's diet. The only food that ever affected my baby that I could actually tell was broccoli (made her gassy -- not the same of colic). I'm not sure about constipation...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:14 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• so if i eat spicy foods or chili has nothing to do with colic?
    Anonymous

• You usually do not have to follow any sort of special diet while breastfeeding. Sometimes if you notice certain foods are bothering your baby after you eat them, then you will want to avoid those foods. Exclusively breastfed babies can not become constipated, but they often go for a longer period of time without going poo. Colic is typically separate than food sensitivities, but sometimes a milk protein allergy and colic can seem like the same thing.

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 9:36 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• "In the United States we sometimes forget about nursing moms in other cultures. Indian moms who are nursing continue to enjoy their curries. Moms from Mexico will still eat their spicy dishes that are full of flavor. But we feel that while nursing we must adhere to a bland diet, and this is just not the case for most nursing moms. " Most babies are not effected by what mom eats. Every culture has lists of foods that are "good" and "bad" for breastfeeding mothers. It happens very often that foods believed to be good in one culture are considered bad in others! Some great info on this at My baby is gassy. Is this caused by something in my diet?

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:53 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• It depends on the baby.
    Some babies can get gassy if mom eats too much dairy or chocolate or caffeine. I've even heard of babies becoming extremely gassy because the mom at a lot of red meat. Just watch your baby and if you notice that something you might be eating could be bothering them then try to limit the amount.

Now some babies might have a severe reaction if they are especially sensitive to a certain food(most commonly dairy.) A severe reaction would be hives or rash and not just gas. If that happens you should contact a Lactation Consultant or your local La Leche League on ways to alter your diet, breastfeeding can and should continue.
    Anonymous

• Is it colic or is it gas? Colic is sort of a catch all word people use for extreme fussiness.
    Generally colic is defined as chronic fussiness that occurs at the same times of day and for a consistent period of time.
    If your baby is a little fussy or gassy shortly after you eat something spicey(or whatever) then that is not colic.
    Anonymous

• I always followed the advice...

if it makes me gassy....it makes baby gassy.

but all three of my girls got constipated and raelly icky tummies when I had dairy. cut dairy (boohoo...) from my diet and they were happy.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:39 PM on Jun. 20, 2009