My son is 11 months today.....only one more month to 1 WHEN TO WEAN?

So now everyone i know and some i don't really know are asking the loaded question.....

"When are you going to wean?"

So far I have just been saying I don't know because well I don't. But I am wondering if I should put more focus on solids after he turns 1. Right now he gets a solid meal at night when everyone else sits down for dinner but other than that he nurses and gets little finger snacks throughout the day.

i was thinking about still nursing him on demand but giving him breakfast, lunch and dinner so we can get on the road to weaning but not necessarily puting full focus on it. You know what i mean????

what did you do after 1

jenniamigo

Asked by jenniamigo at 9:19 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wean when YOU want. No one else gets a say.

I went to "don't offer don't refuse" and put solids before nursing on the first birthday. He weaned at 26 months.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:25 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Solids should play a bigger role after 1, but there's absolutely no reason the breastfeeding has to stop unless you want it to. The first thing I would do is just start offering those other meals without changing anything nursing-wise. (You're nursing on demand now, right?). You may be surprised, he may just down the meals and keep up a similar nursing schedule or else demand a little more. You don't have to scale back the nursing if he takes the solids, but if he doesn't want those meals, you could offer the mean and have milk after.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:28 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• wow thats going to be difficult to not offer. i have a hard time imagining that
    jenniamigo

Answer by jenniamigo at 9:28 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Aside from the weaning...he HAS to be eating a balanced meal IF you do wean...he can't be just drinking milk. so you need to get him on a balanced diet....if you WANT to wean then he will need formula to get the nutrition that he needs....I think you're exactly right for wanting to still nurse on demand but slowly start introducing solids b/c he needs to be used to those first...good luck.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:39 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• The great news is that you don't have to do anything! If you just continue to follow your baby's lead as far as nursing and solids, he will wean when he is ready. I did not do anything "special" at 12 months. Both my babies were only nursing 1-2 times a day by 14 months (before going to sleep at night, and sometimes first thing in the morning). Every baby is different. Some are hardly nursing much at a year and others are still nursing a lot and not yet eating a lot of solids. Your baby knows what HE needs! Some great info on how much nursing/solids etc. at Nutrition for Nursing Toddlers

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:46 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Do want you want to do and what you think is best for you and your family, ignore everyone else.

I can't stand getting the weaning question. I love my children and babies and they wean when they are ready to wean.
    Anonymous

• Thats exactly what I do! lol He gets three meals a couple snacks and a boob at night. Sometimes at naps too. I am also pregnant so its getting tougher. lol. Wean when you want. No one else matters. I have had people asking me when I'm going to wean my son since he was six months old. I hate it. Or when he will be put on a bottle, I said NEVER now quit asking! Geeze. My son never needed a bottle. And Breastfeeding concerns him and I. No one else. So When you are comfortable, go for it. Good Luck!
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 5:29 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Wean when you and LO want to not when any one else tells you you should. If they ask simply tell them that the AAP and WHO both recommend AT LEAST 2 years and as long as both desire after that!

My kids didn't take solids until around 10 months old. I would nurse them and then sit at the table with them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner at that point and let them eat as much or little as they liked. I would start letting him eat with you at all meals after nursing first, but other then that let him lead the way with things. I nursed my first until he weaned during my pregnancy at 18 months old and the second is still going strong at 24 months old! I got a lot of flack from friends and family, but just ignored it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:21 AM on Jun. 18, 2009