Leg Cramps

Does anyone else get random leg cramps? My calf muscle in my left leg cramps up on me all the time. I have always just ignored it. Now I'm on birth control to control my periods (Spryntec) and the cramping has never been this bad other than when I was pregnant. I even missed work today because I was in so much pain.
Often, now that I'm on these pills and during my pregnancies, I wake up in the night with my toes pointed unable to flex my foot because my calf muscle is pulling so tight. Lately, the pain has been spreading up my leg and down to my toes. I just wonder if anyone else has had to deal with this. I don't see my doctor again for another month. Should I try to get in earlier?

CrazyMom5480

Asked by CrazyMom5480 at 9:30 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Health

• Alot of times charlie horses/leg cramps are caused by low potassium. Try eating a banana and drinking a lg. glass of orange juice daily. If this persist I would call the doctor and tell them whats going on. I bet they will have you come in.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 9:37 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Thanks, mistynights234. I didn't mention, but I do take a potassium supplement everyday. That hasn't helped. Maybe I should work on the fruits some more. It couldn't hurt.
    CrazyMom5480

Answer by CrazyMom5480 at 9:41 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I would call my physician. My friend had leg cramps after she was put on medication and she ended up with a blood clot. Not to scare you, but I would rather be safe than sorry. GL

SonjaSC

Answer by SonjaSC at 11:32 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Eat a kiwi (way more potassium than banana and way more vitamin C than orange juice) every night before bed, and make sure that you are drinking at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day.

Hyland's (the teething tab people) make a homeopathic leg cramp product that works very quickly.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:12 PM on Jun. 18, 2009