my 4 year old is sick every month. Is this normal?

Every 3-4 weeks my son comes down with something (i.e. strep, ear infection, fever, vomitting etc) always something new. Any moms out there experiencing the same thing? I think this is too much for my little one to be undergoing.

lovemyboysx2

Asked by lovemyboysx2 at 9:32 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Health

• Is he in daycare or preschool? My 4 year old has been sick once a month or more also. We have been in and out of the doc's office. He thinks he's getting one cold/virus on top of the other because his immune system is down and can't get back up with so many colds. He is in preschool 5 days a week for the first time so he's been slammed. I am hoping summer and next year will be less.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:38 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Does he go to school or daycare, this is somewhat normal, but it will slack off some as he gets older. Was he a premie, born with a compromised immune system, if not he should be fine. My kids were sick all the time in daycare and when they first started school but after 1st grade they caught just about everything and now have built up immunities against alot. Do you change his toothebrush after strep, if not he is reinfecting himself. Does he talk all of his meds, if not that can cause what ever bacteria infection he had to just come back. As for the repaeted ear infections I would have those checked out, he may need tubes in his ears. At that age the ear infections should have slacked off if not stopped all together.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:40 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My son was never in daycare but started 2 days a week fo preschool this year. The doc says that will do it but I am comparing my son to my friend's kids that aren't sick and their kids are in school too. He was not a premie. When he is on amoxi I finish the meds and I am always changing his toothbrush because I am scared he is going to reinfect himself. I am the purell queen ever since last year. My son was never sick before the age of 3, Literally! Next week he is going to go for bloodwork to make sure his protein levels and cbc is normal. If that is all good to go, (keep your fingers crossed) I am going to start giving him probioitics. I am desperate to try anything. Thanks for the repsonses...
    lovemyboysx2

Answer by lovemyboysx2 at 10:03 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Over use of purell also kills your son's, natural flora that are to help keep the bad germs away. Be careful with that stuff. I hope the blood works comes back good, I will keep my fingers crossed for you
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:13 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Your son just started preschool and his body needs time to adjust to all the new germs it is being exposed to. What is happening is pretty normal for the first year of being in day care or preschool. Don't over use hand sanitizer, it will kill his natural immunity and he will keep getting sick. After the first year, he should get sick less and less.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:48 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Get a chewable ecchinecea (spelled incorrectly, I am sure), and give it to him for three weeks on and one week off.
    Closely examine your diet; make sure that you are all eating lots of fruits and vegetables (in lots of colors), whole grains and legumes.
    You might find the healing food pyramid from the University of Michigan helpful: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm
    I have a ton of healthy, tasty, family and budget friendly recipes. I can list some;contact me for recipes.
    Noodles & veggies with peanut sauce
    Veggie pot pie
    Lentil tacos
    Squashed macaroni
    Sweet potato & black bean burritos
    Sloppy jojos (made with lentils)
    Noodles with beans, sauce, spinach&cheese
    Italian stew
    Veggie stew with dumplings (crockpot)
    Southwest falafel (bean patties with avocado sauce)
    Tofu "fish sticks" with sweet potato or acorn squash baked "fries"
    General Tsao’s Tofu
    Tamale Bean Pie

Answer by rkoloms at 5:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Better to build his immunity now, than to be missing days at school later on. It will subside after he gets more exposure.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:25 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Thank you for your responses. I appreciate them all.
    lovemyboysx2

Answer by lovemyboysx2 at 9:04 PM on Jun. 18, 2009