Do you believe that there are lots of newborn babies available for adoption?

I think that some people still believe that there are many newborn babies that need homes. If that really was the case, why do so many potential adoptive babies resort to extreme methods to try to find a baby to adopt? Why do agencies use extreme measures to "recruit birth mothers"? I believe that they are trying to supply babies that are in high demand. Why do potential adoptive moms complain about how hard it is to adopt?

Granted, there are some few women who really cannot parent or do not want to who relinquish babies. However, it seems clear that there is a shortage of adoptable newborns. There is no shortage of adoptable children, but, women do not relinquish newborns frequently as they once did.

Southernroots

Asked by Southernroots at 9:44 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Adoption

• I do not believe that there a lot of newborns avaliable for adoption..

Now I have a girlfriend who was a social worker in a hospital and she told me that daily there
    were babies born to drug addict mothers, those babies went into fostercare because of that, or to the next of kin.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 9:55 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I think that anyone who thinks there are lots of newborns available to adopt hasn't really looked into it. Many agencies place an average of 6 babies a year. They usually have at least twice that many couples in their "pool" of available hopeful parents. This is part of the reason that many people started doing international adoption. For a while, at least, the wait was very short. From experience, I think the reason many hopeful adoptive moms complain about how hard it is to adopt is because of a feeling of complete helplessness (when it is not possible to "produce" a baby from your own body). It took us time to find agencies we could work with (due to age limits and policies we could agree with), then each time we waited about 2 years after our homestudies before we were chosen.

It's true that there are many children available for adoption. (cont)
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:48 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• (cont) We've already had the discussion about why we don't all choose to start our families with older children. My husband and I had a teenager for a few weeks (her mom had bailed on her) until she was taken in by a couple from her church. She walked all over us, and we learned from that experience that we were not equipped to parent an older child, having no parenting experience. We also really wanted the experience of raising a newborn. We had already missed out on the opporutnity to enjoy a pregnancy as a couple, and the birth and nursing. I know some will not agree with our decision, but there is no requirement that people adopting those kids be infertile.

We need to acknowledge that there is pain and loss for everyone in the triad. For adoptive parents, the healing and happiness comes sooner.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:52 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• As a foster parent, during our first year, we alone had 4 newborns and 2 infants placed with us. Out of those six - 4 went on to be adopted and 2 went home with their biological families. And those were just the children placed with our family. Many more foster families in our area also had newborns/infants that went onto be adopted.

I think "lots" is a relative term and that there are newborn babies out there who are in need of a home. I can't speak of private adoption because we chose to adopt out of foster care, so I can only speak from that experience. But I would consider 4 babies in one year (just placed with our family) to be a lot.
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 8:09 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• When we decided to adopt, we really didn't know where to start. We looked online and saw where people waited as little as 4 mos, or still waiting after 2 years. We knew people who went thru a "Christian" adoption agency here in town, (9 placements that year & hundreds of pap's---the math didn't seem to be in our favor) & started gathering info there. The people were not friendly at all! I knew a friend who had just adopted 2 sibs from foster care. After a lunch w/her, we went to the next CPS meeting. We decided that if we were going to have to wait, we could be helping children in need while waiting for the one(s) that God would bring to our home. We've had several infant placements (including respite care for other foster parents who have newborns & infants). I believe that there are more "babies" becoming available for adoption thru foster care than private adoption.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:48 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I think that their are a lot of newborns avalible that are looked over because of handicaps, health issues.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• The point that I was trying to make is that potential adoptive parents need to know that there are not lots of newborns waiting for homes. Most do know I think, but some are shocked to discover how hard it can be to adopt a newborn. Agencies/attorneys do not have nearly enough babies to meet the demand. I am referring to adoptions through agencies or attorneys, not through foster care. The competition for newborns is fierce.....ask any expectant mom on Cafemom who mentions that she is considering relinquishing her child. She is generally swamped with offers from moms who want her baby.

I believe that adopting children through foster care who are already legally adoptable can help prevent lots of heartaches for aparents. Although I understand the desire to adopt a newborn, I worry that adopting newborns from aggressive agencies or attorneys encourages their bad behavior in recruiting and pressuring moms to relinquish.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 3:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I agree that it is inappropriate for people to "solicit" women after learning that they are considering placing their babies for adoption. We never had any contact with our bmoms until they said they wanted to meet us. Our agencies offered things like drug treatment (which was appropriate under the circumstances) and help with housing if needed, no repayment being expected.

Another reason we decided against foster care when we were considering that is that I would have had to quit my job. When someone has a bad experience with a particular agency or facilitator, I think it is helpful if they can tell others the name so people can avoid using them. I know of one place in Nebraska that operates free of charge. They handle foster care and infant adoption. There is no profit motive - they are just there to serve the women. I don't believe they are all bad.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 5:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Iamgr8teful : I am curious as to why you would have had to quit your job if you did foster care? I know most of the people we know through our foster care parents association are working parents, whether single or a dual income family. Did your state require that?
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 7:21 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Mommytoadam - it's been quite a few years since we looked into it, so I don't remember why that runs in my mind. We were in Kansas at the time. I had definitely made up my mind that I wanted to be a SAHM, so I was concerned about quitting my job if it wasn't a pretty sure thing. That may have been why, so maybe it wasn't required.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:27 PM on Jun. 18, 2009