Heart Murmur

I took my 3yo to the pediatrician today for his check up and was referred to a cardiologist for a heart murmur. I am mildy freaking out and wanted to know if anyone else has any advice of experience with this.

Thanks in advance!

Landonsmama0615

Asked by Landonsmama0615 at 9:50 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Kids' Health

• IT depends. I've had one (actually on both valves) since birth. I played soccer, swim team (I did the 20 lap race), climbed mountains and have had 2 kids natural with NO issues. I do get checked every 5 years but when mine was org. diagnosed it was thought to be more serious, thanks to my drs. back then no surgery was done I they decided to evaluate.
    At the time my mom was told I was prob. going to be this pale, skinny, weak kid. (as you can see from my list -- ummmmm.... I don't think so.
    I know tons of people who have murmers and never had it be an issue at all. So breathe mom, you know your son everyday of the week -- prob. "it ain't nothing but a thang"
    blessings
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:39 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• A murmur is an abnormal heart sound. It could be nothing, or it could be really serious. I was diagnosed with one at 12, but since hs, it's been undetectable. My son's pedi just thought he heard one, but then 5 minutes later it was gone. Try not to worry till you hear from the cardiologist.
    Anonymous

• My daughter has one, but it's never slowed her down or anything. You can't tell her from the "healthy" kids.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 10:11 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Heart murmurs are usually harmless, my mom and aunt have both had them for most of their lives. My brother has one too. ALL of them are fine. The only thing my mom has to do is take antibiotics before any dental appointment, including cleanings.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:35 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• both my kids have them only one has been checked further and it is a fiber across the heart chamber the twanges when the heart pumps, my sons is not enough for them to worry about or get checked
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 10:23 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• most are innocent. You would know if it was serious becuase your son wouldn't be growing well. My daughter had one that we discovered around 2 or 3 weeks of age. We went to the cardio and the ran tests and said it was nothing to worry about. Our pedi said it was innocent but it could be one where you need antibiocitcs before any dentist appointment.
    Anonymous