so I guess I shouldn't worry if my pedi isn't worried?

My 9 month-old EBF daughter keeps dropping in weight and height percentiles -- went from 80th in weight at birth to 50th, now is 10th -- she wakes up dry some mornings... She nurses about 7-8 times a day, eats tons of solids (which I always offer only after a nursing session, but she's ravenous). I have been worried about her milk intake, but the pediatrician didn't seem concerned. I was immediately reassured (I knew he wouldn't worry unless there was a reason, too, because he's extremely pro-bf), but does this sound okay? Is she just destined to be smaller than I though?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My baby was born at 50% dropped to 25 then 10 and now he is so small he isn't even on the charts.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 9:58 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I would worry, something is going on, either your milk supply is decreasing or she is not getting everything she needs. I would get a second opinion, plus some morning she wakes up dry, that doesnt sound right to me
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:01 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• "The very rapid growth a baby experiences during the first 3 mths typically slows down during months 4-12. According to recent research an average weight gain for a EBF baby 4-6 mths is about 3-5 ounces per week. An average wt gain for the EBF baby 6-12 months is 1 1/2 -3 ounces per week. Growth in length averages about one-half inch per month and growth in head circumference is about one-quarter inch per month. At 1 yr, the typical bf baby weighs about 2 1/2 times his birth wt, has increased his birth length by 50%."

Recent studies comparing EBF and exclusively formula-fed infants found growth in length and head circumference to be about the same in both groups but found significant differences in wt gain after 3 mths of age. From the 4th month to the twelfth month the breastfed babies gained more slowly, even after solids were started, and at one yr the breastfed babies were leaner than artificially fed babies
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:02 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• The charts used by doctors are for FF babies, theres are different once for Bf babies...look for normal oz gained and ignore %
    heres a link
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/weight-gain.html
    she needs 1.75-4 oz a week in gain to be normal for a BF baby. Waking up dry can be just fine some babies do that, my son did often and still does because he STTN and didn't nurse at night...some babies hold it til they are awake.
    heres how to know if shes getting enough
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html
    AND ask an IBCLC and the breastfeeding groups, we have alot of non-Bfers here who will say something is wrong because they don't know better
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:12 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I'm sure he would be worried if there is a problem. My DD is 15 weeks and is taking longer to put on weight too. She is fully formula fed but just a smaller baby. After 3 months they take longer to put on weight. They dont seem to have that initial immediate need for nourishment.

You know you really shouldn't judge Moms who FF. You really dont know my situation and I despise being attacked my BF Moms who are ignorant and nasty like tabi cat1023.

Anyway good luck and I would say that the best indicator that she is healthy is that she is settled and happy.
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 10:29 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• LOL, "artificially fed babies."

I don't feed anything artificial to my kids. Formula is real, lol.
    Anonymous

• Make sure he is using the WHO charts for breastfed babies and see if she is staying closer to where she was born on that chart. The dropping in percentiles isn't a big red flag, but the waking up dry is. is she having 6-8 wet diapers a day even with waking up dry? I would nurse more often if possible and see if that helps.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:16 AM on Jun. 18, 2009