NASA

With our country in a huge deficit why do we continue to fund space research? With all due respect to the astronauts and others on the NASA team it appears to me as a non-necessity. Over $500 million is a lot of money to be spending on moon research IMO.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090617/ap_on_sc/us_sci_moon_rocket

blakebrm

Asked by blakebrm at 10:23 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• manned spaceflight has contributed more than any civilian government program to securing Americas tech and economic position in the world. Since the astronauts landed on the Moon almost four decades ago, our space program has spawned decades of tech innovation. The benefits have far exceeded the cost of our investment, and if we want America to remain competitive for future generations we must support a robust spaceflight program.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:54 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• it is money put into the economy. And I would say we need that.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:36 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• The whole space program is a HUGE waste of money- money better spent feeding the hungy, finding cures for diseases or sheltering the homeless.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:22 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Applause for Carpy!

I would far rather NASA get some federal dollars than Pelosi's mouse..........
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:27 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I am sure that the approx. 18,000 employees of NASA (not to include peripheral jobs and independent contractors) would disagree with you. But I guess they could take advantage of the 'feeding the hungry' and 'sheltering the homeless' aspects of your plan, IhartU.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Double edge sword - exploration means jobs, jobs help the economy, yet...... I think this continues to be important because the US is the leader in ventures that would certainly be picked up and continued by countries who don't neccisarily have our best interest at heart. As Shakespear wrote, "... keep your friends close but your enemies closer." Good advise.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:32 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• "manned spaceflight has contributed more than any civilian government program to securing Americas tech and economic position in the world. Since the astronauts landed on the Moon almost four decades ago, our space program has spawned decades of tech innovation. The benefits have far exceeded the cost of our investment, and if we want America to remain competitive for future generations we must support a robust spaceflight program."

If you live long enough, I guess anything can happen. I agree 100% with Crapy!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Jun. 18, 2009