Ok I think this is a great question!

Ok the najority of christians agree that BY NO WORKS of YOUR OWN can you get into the kingdom of heaven but by faith in JEsus and acceptance of his gift on the cross? If you disagree please explain yourself. But the above is true you will find it in the bible REPEATEDLY! So how come our deeds can't save us but they CAN condemn us? If Jesus really looks at the heart, I am not trying to be sarcastic just thought of this and think it is a great question.

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 10:23 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• OK, Paul was speaking of the works of the Mosaic Law, he was telling the Jews that to still try to follow the Mosaic law would not save them, James on the other hand was speaking of the works produced by the fruits of the spirit, he said that Faith without works was dead, so if you had faith in Jesus your Faith produces works. Cause and effect...Having a solid foundation, Abraham’s faith was then strengthened by works. The apostle Paul wrote: “By faith Abraham, when he was called, obeyed in going out into a place he was destined to receive as an inheritance; and he went out, although not knowing where he was going.” (Hebrews 11:8) That act of obedience enhanced Abraham’s faith, regarding which the disciple James wrote: “You behold that his faith worked along with his works and by his works his faith was perfected.”—James 2:22.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 10:56 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• God knows our heart. He knows how you truly feel. If you are not for God, he knows. Works don't matter, your faith in him matters. You can not bear false witness to God. He knows everything about you.
    Anonymous

• For example, one having true faith would not say to a brother naked and lacking food, “Go in peace, keep warm and well fed,” and not give him the necessities. (Jas 2:14-26) Here James was not contradicting Paul by saying that one could earn salvation by works. Rather, he accepts faith as the basis for salvation but points out that there cannot be genuine faith that does not produce good works. This is in harmony with Paul’s description of the fruitage of the spirit, at Galatians 5:22-24, and his counsel to put on the new personality, at Ephesians 4:22-24 and Colossians 3:5-10, as well as his admonition to do good and share with others, at Hebrews 13:16.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 10:59 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• see we can't earn our way into any place because Paul said: “If I give all my belongings to feed others, and if I hand over my body, that I may boast, but do not have love, I am not profited at all.” (1 Corinthians 13:3) Without love, Paul would not profit if he gave everything he owned to feed others. God rewards us for the love behind our gifts, not for their material value or because we seek glory as givers, like lying Ananias and Sapphira. (Acts 5:1-11) Paul set a fine example by lovingly giving of himself in connection with a relief ministry for believers in Judea.—1 Corinthians 16:1-4; 2 Corinthians 8:1-24; 9:7.
    our works are out of love because of the love God gave us first....
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 11:16 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Clearly, Christian love is active, manifesting itself in the positive good it does for others. Being a feeling or an emotion, this love is not easily defined. The way in which it expresses itself, however, can be described. And, in First Corinthians chapter 13, we find a truly masterful description of the love that Christians should have. The emphasis in this chapter is not on the expression of God’s love for mankind nor on our love for Jehovah God. But the main import of the material is on how love should be shown toward fellow humans.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 11:18 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• What is this surpassing way? It is the way of love. Yes, there was a need for Christians at Corinth to make changes in their evaluation of “gifts” and to put love into action. Pointing out how love is of greater value than abilities and gifts or endowments, Paul wrote: “If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels but do not have love, I have become a sounding piece of brass or a clashing cymbal. And if I have the gift of prophesying and am acquainted with all the sacred secrets and all knowledge, and if I have all the faith so as to transplant mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. And if I give all my belongings to feed others, and if I hand over my body, that I may boast, but do not have love, I am not profited at all.”—1 Cor. 13:1-3.

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 11:19 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Ok, so are you saying that a person can accept Jesus, do nothing to help another living soul, and get into heaven, but the most human serving person on the planet wouldn't get in just because he/she didn't accept Jesus?
    -AShley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:37 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• It wasn't just the Apostles who stressed salvation by faith rather than by works. It is stressed in themes throughout the entire Bible as well as proclaimed by Christ himself. In addition, Jesus condemned the rituals of the Pharasees. I find it hard to believe he would say THOSE rituals were wrong and then set up more rituals to replace them. I think, very validly, that his point was that he has paid our price and our faith in him is what saves us. I believe that not one drop of Christ's blood was wasted and that if it is possible for a person to enter into heaven by their own "goodness," his death really had no purpose did it? Our works serve the purpose of strengthening our faith, living a life that has God's approval-not to obtain salvation but to PLEASE the one who offers salvation and to put forth the best witness of Christ for others as possible.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:44 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

--------------------------
    The way we see each other and the way God sees us will undoubtedly be very different. I can't fathom how an absolutely perfect, holy and sinnless being must look at even a drop of sin, let alone put people on different levels as "better" than others. Sin is sin and a sinner is a sinner; period. I don't think any of us are ever good enough to save ourselves which is why Jesus needed to die to pave that way. To say it needs to be earned undermines his sacrifice.

I am a Universal Electionist (which is a form of Universalism). I still say that works do not matter but uphold that God desires none of his creation to perish. (cont.)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:48 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• But to accept Christ we must First disown ourselves. The Greek word for “to disown oneself” indicates a willingness to say no to selfish desires or personal convenience. Disowning ourselves is not just a matter of our occasionally forgoing certain pleasures; neither does it mean that we become ascetic or self-destructive. We no longer ‘belong to ourselves’ in that we willingly surrender our whole life and everything in it to Jehovah. (1 Corinthians 6:19, 20) Rather than being self-oriented, our life becomes God-oriented. Disowning ourselves implies a determination to do the will of God, just as Jesus did, even though this may go against our own imperfect inclinations. We show that we are exclusively devoted to God when we make a dedication to him and get baptized. We then strive to live up to our dedication for the rest of our life.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 11:49 PM on Jun. 17, 2009