Pain Relief for a Cat?

My cat had an infection that needed to be drained and stitched up. They did not give him pain relief and now my vet is closed and my cat has the shakes. Does anyone know of anything I can give him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Pets

• If they gave you Metacam, it is analgesic and has pain medication in it. They usually dose it out in syringes and it is given orally.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 11:24 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Where did you take him? That is horrible. They should have given you bupremorphine or something for him. The problem is you CANNOT give him any over the counter medications. If I were you I would alternate, cold and warm compresses on the site. Until they open that is about the best you are going to be able to do. I am sorry, poor kitty : (
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 10:37 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• It's already been lanced and stitched. He's just in pain for the stitches.
    Anonymous

• No, I understand. He had an abscess right? Did they put a drain in too? If there is a drain, I would just use warm compresses. Just make sure that you are using clean linens.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 10:54 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Ok, I thought that you thought they sent him home before they lanced it. I was hoping there could be some homeopathic remedy. We even have some dog pain killers but we looked it up and it said don't sue on a cat.
    Anonymous

• No there really isn't unfortunately. I worked in a clinic for years, and that is about the only thing you can do for him. You can see if there is an emergency clinic in your area, and they might be willing to give him an injection. It will cost you a lot more than it will if you wait until morning and take him back in. Did they send him home with antibiotics at least? Metacam or Clavamox?
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 11:17 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• They gave him Amoxacilin.
    Anonymous

• i know when my cat got fixed they gave me pain meds that i gave her oraly for 3 days so they do have something
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 10:00 AM on Jun. 18, 2009