How do you get a 4 yr old to stop being mean to his 1 yr old sister?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Relationships

• spank him..
    sunshinebaby209

Answer by sunshinebaby209 at 10:38 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• a really good spanking

Anonymous

• just like pps said spank him and put him on a time out
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 11:05 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• spanking is good, but after he calms down u need to remind him that having a sister is a privelage, and by fighting with her now, he'll never get along with her later, and when he's older he'llwant her to be his friend, but she won't give a damn about him. My sisters and I fought all the time, but my mom always allowed us to tattle on each other and she acted like she took sides, I was the one who got blamed.. my grandpa warned us about fighting... and now we still can't get along
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 11:10 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Children learn what they live. Where did he learn to be mean to those smaller or weaker than him? Did he learn that from you or from dad?
    Anonymous

• If you spank him for being mean to his sister, there's a good chance he'll resent his sister. Does she get spanked when she is mean to him? No. Because she's one. A 4 year old isn't rational enough to understand that, though. Plus, define mean. If he just takes her toy, that's different than pushing her down the stairs. There has to be clear consequences for his behavior. Remind him that his sister is learning how to behave from him. He wouldn't like her to take his toy, so he should show her how to act.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 11:32 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Spankings work wonder.

Anon: A child doesn't have to learn to be mean, It's the law of the jungle. A child does have to be taught how to be nice & respectful.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:44 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• If you're talking about a kid like my nephew you can spank all you want and you wont get anywhere...Is it possible that the 4 year old is jealous of the 1 year old (my niece has just recently been able to express this as a reason for her violent outbursts on her brother and she's 6.) If so maybe promising some time alone with the 4yo and paying more attention when he's nice to her than when he's not...I swear by a reward system rather than spanking...

Though, spanking may be the shock some kids need to realize taht what they did wasnt nice (just be careful when they start to reason things out he might just say that you did it to him too.

Figure I'd give you an alternate to the spanking idea.

DanieVee

Answer by DanieVee at 1:09 AM on Jun. 18, 2009