• In the Spotlight:

How much does your lo weigh?

I took my son in for his wellness check up for 4 months. Well he is already 5 1/2 months now and weighs 20.2 lbs. The d2r told me he is over weight...just curious what your lo weighs and what doctors say about their weight.

My son is FF and only eats when he is hungry so I dunno how he could be over weight. His daddy is 6'3" and I am 5'2" Oh and he is about 27 inches long

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 10:41 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 6 months my daughter was exactly 27 in and weighed 14 lbs 5 oz, she's 16 1/2 lbs now at 9 months, but she's dropping in percentiles. My doctor thinks she needs to get more calories, but isn't overly concerned. Your baby does sound heavy... I know a lot of babies get up to 20 lbs closer to the one year mark. But I also have a friend whose two sons were exclusively breastfed, neither she nor her husband were overweight, and they were both 20lbs at around 4 months (they're older now, and they're stalky but not huge).
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:46 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• my son was 20lb at 51/2 mos and 29in. my doctor told me hes healthy, not over weight. my son was ebfeed untin 6mos. hes 61/2 mos now and almost 22lb bf and ff. my hubby is also 6'3 and im 5'7. so i think their just going to be big boys. im not shur why your doc thinks hes over weight? my doc doesnt think so. and besides all babies grow at difrent rates, right!!!
    mrsaustin271

Answer by mrsaustin271 at 10:48 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• my daughter was 10 lbs at 4 months, and like 12.8 at 6 months. She's 11 months now and still doesn't weigh 20 lbs.. she's somewhere around 19.7
    It could very easily be that he just has a chunky build.. I would't worry about it. Work with him to get him moving and the weight will even out by the time hes a year. Babies gain all their weight before they start crawling. Once they get going they get all toned and more proportionate.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 10:55 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• that does seem like a bigger baby considering my DD is a lil chunky money and is 27 inches and weight just under 16 lbs. And the same exact age. So proportionally it does seem bigger. It is very possible to overfeed with a bottle.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 11:05 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• DS is two months and just about 12lbs. They said he's 50th percentile.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 12:05 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• My DD has always been over the 95% ...it will taper off when he starts moving around...mines a chunk too. she was 19 lbs. at 6 months....and now she's 23 at 9 months, but she's crawling and cruising so she should slim down =(...i love chunky babies =)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:26 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• my 5 mo ds is 20 pounds i bf him he was just under 7 pounds when he was born and 14 pounds at his 2 week checkup my dr just said that i have really healthy mommy milk and that he is a healthy big boy
    ilovemyboys21

Answer by ilovemyboys21 at 1:37 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• My son is 15 months, and he is breastfed, Hes about 32 inches tall and weighs 26 pounds. Hes in the 85th percentile for his weight, and 95th for his height. I am 5'3 and daddy is 6'1. He definitely takes after Dad, At his one year appointment he was exactly half my height! lol. I'm sure your baby is fine. He/she will continue to grow and even out, I'm sure. My son was born into the 10th/15th percentile and has been at 85th/95th since he was two months old.

LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 5:15 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I forgot to add my son was 19.7 at six months. Hes only ever had a breast, never a bottle. So I think you are fine, its not far off. All babies grow differently. I don't think its because of formula, I think its just a big boy. =) My doctor has only ever said what a healthy baby my son is. I think you doctor is just saying that because of what average is. Based on 50th percentile, not accounting on the rest of babies. Like I said, He sounds just fine to me, and will surly even out. I love my big chubby cheeked baby! lol.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 5:25 AM on Jun. 18, 2009