Can a 9 month old throw a tantrum?

My son just turned 9 months and he is crawling away and pulling up and starting to cruise. Since he can reach more things there are more things that he cannot have and everytime I take something away from him that he is not allowed to have he screams. He also crawls over to me wanting to be picked up and as soon as i try to set him on my lap instead of him standing on me he arches his back and screams. He never wants to lay still to have his diaper changed even if I give something that he is not usually allowed to have and he fights sleeping like a little madman. Is there anything I can do to get these little episodes to stop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sorry, I'm laughing about the diaper change thing because I have a very willful 9 month-old girl who is so strong that I sometimes wonder if I will complete the diaper change. The difference between his expressions of frustration and a "tantrum" is that, at 9 months, he can be very, very easily distracted. Just offer him an alternative to whatever he's set on doing/having. Baby-proofing so there aren't too many things he can reach that have to be taken away from him can help, too, but that can only get you so far. It's important to remember that the screeching won't last long, and it's always best to lay the ground rules from the beginning and stick to them. (I'm having to tell myself this all the time -- when I think it would be easier to just let her drink from her sister's water cup, etc...). Right now he's just a big ball of desires, and they're growing as his access to his world is expanding. It gets better!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:58 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• absolutely!!! My daughter would do that, except her thing is pushing your hand away from her and yelling, or shaking her head 'no' and blowing her nose at you. She's a little snot hahaha..
    There's really not much you can do about it. They're just asserting their independence at this age and letting you know when they're upset. Just be firm and gentle, and if need be relocate the child to another area and engage him in something else. Like all things, this too shall pass lol!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 10:59 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• oh.. and about the sleeping.. this is the time in some young child's lives where even the parents who are dead set against CIO realize that there is nothing wrong.. and if you just ignore the screams then they WILL stop. I mean not to the point he's hysterical or anything, but as long as he's just screaming and not hurt or hyperventilating, let him scream. He'll tire himself out and you giving in to him is only going to teach him that if he screams loud enough he gets what he wants. It's hard, but it doesn't take too long before they realize what's up. Again, its the independence thing, and it will get better soon.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 11:03 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Oh trust me we had to use the cio method with him because i could not handle being screamed at for 2 hours every night just because he was a tired little grump lol...thanks for all the answers.
    Anonymous

• my son just turned 10 months and is the same EXACT way. I just try and be firm and tell him no,oh and believe me he understands the work no. he gets mad when i say it to him too. lol anyways my son has a hard time sleeping too so i use the CIO method too. he does fall asleep after like 30 mins or less. Also I think its because he is growing so much and so fast, he is a little guy on the very bottom of the average weight but excellent on his height and i think he is having growing pains because I think he is catching up finally. just hang in there try some of these techniques these moms are telling ya and keep telling yourself-"it will only get worse" lol just kidding just tell yourself that it will subside. Good luck! as I will need some luck too!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• i wouldn't call it a tantrum, he's not doing to annoy you. he's frustrated bc he doesn't understand why he can't have it. if you really think about it, he's only been alive for nine months, so he doesn't understand much yet.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 12:36 AM on Jun. 18, 2009