C Section

My doctor told me I need a C section tomorrow and this is something I wasn't quite prepared for I'm scared out of my mind....anyone who's had a C section tell me what it was like please. I'm prectically having a panic attack

1st_time_mom855

Asked by 1st_time_mom855 at 10:46 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had a C-section for my son. He was breech. I went in a couple hours before I was scheduled, they had me change into a gown and hooked me up with an IV. When my scheduled time was closer they placed a catheter and made sure my lower belly was shaved (you might want to do this yourself if you can because they use really cheap razors and I had razor burn on top of everything) Finally it was time and I had to don the very cute hair net. I was wheeled into the OR (my husband was in a different room putting on scrubs) and transferred to the operation table. The anaesthesiologist gave me a spinal (numb from the breasts down) and had me lay back. I really dreaded the spinal but it wasn't that bad. They have you curve your back and hold real still. After that, I was laying down, hubby sitting next to me, and I felt my doc press (I could only feel pressure). I asked the doc what was going on (cont)

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:58 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Why do you need a c-section tomorrow? Is there a way you can avoid it? Most c-sections in the US aren't done out of necessity. It is alot harder to recover from, and trying to recover from major surgery while taking care of a newborn is a pain in the neck.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:58 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Look at it this way. At least you have a whole day to think about it. I figured I would probably need one too. I was in labor for forty hours and even though I knew I was more than likely going to need one, I freaked out. I begged them to let me go longer, and I was really upset. You need to relax. It goes by so quickly! They have the baby out in what seems like five minutes, then you are so excited talking to your SO and the doctors, and seeing the new baby, that the time it takes for them to sew you back up goes by unnoticed. C-sections are different for everyone, so your experience can be very different from anyone else's. Just do your best to listen to the doctors and the words of comfort from your partner. If something hurts or doesn't feel right. Tell them! Be your own advocate, and you will be set! Just remember when it is all said and done, your new LO will be here! Yay!
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 11:00 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Well... you walk in, get weighed, changed into your sexy hospital gown, get hooked up to an IV, get blood drawn, play 20 million questions with the nurse, sign your life away on about 5 dozen forms, get shaved down below, get a catheter, & --- in your case ---- probably an epidural.

That is one area I can't help you with as I opted for general anesthesia for all my scheduled Csections.

In my case(s), w/o the epi, I then walked to the OR --- walking with a catheter is fun... lemme tell ya! LOL Hopped up on the table, got tied down, went to sleep, woke up with morphine & a new baby.

First 24 hrs after surgery, you're confined to bed still hooked up to catheters & IVs... but you've got a nifty morphine drip and you're own little button to press lol. The next day, they'll "release" you from all your tie-downs and you can start to move around. You'll need help --- and lots of it.

3-5 days later, you're home :-)
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:03 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• . . . He said I'd hear water being sucked out (breaking my water) in a moment. A minute later there was water and. . . a baby cry. . . then I cried. . . The worst part was I threw up quite a bit after. They tried a few different drugs to stop it and finally found one that worked. . .I was very sore after the spinal wore off but was able to walk around the next morning. Here is a hint though. After the section, when you need to get up, roll to your side, pull your knees up, and then roll up to a sitting position. You may want to try to hug a pillow while doing so. This will lessen the discomfort. Just focus on your safe and healthy baby and everything will be fine.

If you have any more questions feel free to message me.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:03 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• i had 2 c-sections. both were no where near as bad as i thought. with both mine i didn't get the catheter til after i had the spinal, they just had me empty my bladder b4 the spinal. for the spinal you are sitting up and bend your back "like a hissing cat" and they put a needle into your lower spine, then you go numb right away and they lay you back. you can't move or feel anything other than pressure, no pain. just feel tugging sensations when they start the section. with my first i had an iv drip of morphine that i could hit the button for pain, had that for about a day and after that they gave me vicodin. with my second they gave me a shot of morphine in the recovery room after that i got vicodin. you may be itchy during and after the procedure b/c of the meds in the spinal tap, but it goes away with in about 8 hours and they can give you something for it, just tell them if you are. you also may be nausea's after CONT
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:04 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• wards, for my second i was, and ended up throwing up twice. for my first i was very loopy and talking funny, depends on the type of pain meds they give you. whoever is with you during the c-section will be able to go with baby to the nursery while you are being sewn up. then you will be taken to recovery, they won't take you to your room til you can move your legs, takes about 15mins - an hour depending on your reaction. for my first i was in recovery for 1 1/2 hours my second 25 mins (w/my second i was awake so i was determined to move and kept trying, w/the first i fell asleep after my husband left w/dd so they woke me up to see if i could move then took me to my room) with my first i walked 2 days later, second that night.
    you may want to take an extra pillow, it hurts to laugh or cough, but if you press a pillow over the incision it doesn't hurt as much. make sure the bed is lowered all the way to the ground and CONT
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:08 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• use the upper part of the bed to raise your body up then throw your legs over the side of the bed (raise the head of the bed before you try to get up from a laying down position on your own).
    you can expect to be in the hospital anywhere from 2-4 days. w/my first i was there 4 days, my second 2 days. (my first was b/c of high blood pressure and i labored for 3 days before they did the section, so i was on the high risk ward b/c of blood pressure, second was planned). its really not as scary as you think it is, you don't see anything, they hang a drape by your chest and the person who is with you will be sitting by your head. your arms may be tied down, but that is b/c you can still move your arms w/a spinal and they don't want you to move around alot and end up moving your body. if you have any questions message me.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:11 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I had to have an emergency c-section because when i was going into labor i had a placental abruption. It wasnt bad at all. They gave me a spinal so i was numb verry quickly. All i gould feel was pressure of my stomach moving and that was all. I was scared because my husband was not allowed in the OR with me because it was an emergency. But it wasnt bad at all. Dont worry to much. Even after for me it wasnt bad i took pain meds for about 4 days when i was in the hospital and i didnt take any after that. It just didnt hurt anymore. I just had my c-section on the 4th of this month and i am having no problem with taking care of my son or healing. The only thing is i cant drive because most people are still taking pain meds for a while and they dont want you driving durring that time. Its not bad at all though. I know it can sound scarry when you know what all is going on but you dont see anything.mine was over in about 20 min
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:25 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Shelii, my doc told me to stomp my foot on the ground and if it didn't hurt to do that than I was ok to drive. I had my second c-section on the 21st of may and drove by the 1st of june b/c i didn't need pain meds at home and it didn't hurt to stomp my feet. Just something you may want to try and see if that doesn't bother you. and they say not to drive until you are off the pain meds for a week, so if you've been off them for awhile you should be ok.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:27 PM on Jun. 17, 2009