Do you believe Jonah really lived in a whales belly for 3 days?

?????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• When you read the short book of Jonah you will see it's Prophetical Book. God wanted him to go to Niveah to preach against their sins. Jonah said no. He went against God. Thus the Storm and him ending up in the water and the belly of the large fish. For three days. Three days in a fish three days with dead. After three days he was in Niveah. After three days he was resurrected. Then he Told them that in forty days if you don't repent God will destroy your city. That line is the past and future. The story of the flood and Sodom and Gomorrah. The forty days in the desert and the forty days He walked the earth. After listening the Nivenites repented. This Story is prophetic that Christ came not only for the Jews but also for the Gentiles. Did it happen it's possible. I do know that this story was one that the Jews who knew their stories did know what Christ was talking about. He was the Messiah they were waiting for.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 7:05 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I wouldn't necessarily bet my life on it. But if God is truely God then God can do miracles. And if God can do miracles then God could keep a man alive inside a fish for 3 days. Maybe it wasn't a normal fish, maybe it was created just for that purpose, I don't know. But I would say in general yes I believe it.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:01 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• The bible says a "great fish" not necessarily a whale, though common usage seems to point to the whale. However if you consider the bible full of instructional morality legends with a point to them, it is a fantastic story.

Anonymous

• As anon said the bible never says whale. It's us humans that must place names toeverything unknown that said whale. Is it possible that a human survived in the belly of a god sent "great fish?" Sure, if you believe in the Gods it sure is. If you have no faith in the Gods or any God, then I would have to say it's more than likely not something that could happen. I see no reason why it has to really be labled as factual or not, religion is full of myth and fable, some are to fancyful to be true and yet they have been prooven to be so, others seem plausable and yet never were. The point of stories like this is not whether they are based on fact but the morals of them. In this case the moral is very simple. If god gives you an order, you listen!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:13 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I'm sorry, I never really answered your question. I honestly never thought about it. I am one of the few Pagans I know that doesn't believe that the God of the Bible doesn't exist. I believe that all of the Gods including this one were once very openly active in the lives of their followers and still are just not quite as miraculasly. So, is it beyond my realm of belief that this happened? No. I believe that is COULD have happened. But as with most unprooven myth stories I believe there is a glimmer of truth covered by fiction. Due to the fact that unlike so many other myths this one is not repeated through out any other faiths that I know of and was not even seen in the day it was recorded or happened as factual, I don't see that it is literal. But, I don't discount that it could be. The Gods are more powerful than any of us even want to imagine! I know I wouldn't disobey a direct order - Just in case.. I'm not a big fish fan

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:19 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I agree with the previous posters. Do I think it is possible? Absolutely. I believe that with God, all things are possible. Do I think that this story is literal rather than figurative? I think neither because I don't have to form an opinion about it. Believing in literal vs. figurative on stories in the Bible like this one is non-vital to my salvation. I can glean the same moral of the story regardless of deciding on whether or not Jonah survived in the stomach of a fish. The moral(s)? You cannot hide from God. God's purpose intertwined with human will and choice. God seeks after those he loves. Our sins affect those around us. God loves all his creation, even those who are not following the Christian/Jewish religion (Jonah was being sent over God's concern for the people of Ninevah).

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:23 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Absolutely not. It would not happen in modern times, so how could it have happened in the bible? (with god, blah blah, I know, it was a rhetorical question thanks.)
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:25 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Nope.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:26 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Actually caitxrawks IF there were a "fish" large enough to eat a human whole it stands to reason that it could be possible. There are many millions of animals, fish included, that could have been this mystery fish, with or without God. Now, I am by no means saying it did or didn't happen, you saw my answers, but nothing is impossible when nature is involved.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:31 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• and there are fish large enough to eat humans whole.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:47 PM on Jun. 17, 2009