How to potty training six year old autstic son?

rainbowdash

Asked by rainbowdash at 11:12 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• How much communication does he have? My twins are not autistic but have developmental delays and were close to 6 by the time they trained. They are girls by the way. What worked best for us was pictures, the sign for toilet and a schedule. They had very little speech at the time. And as you probably know better than me speech tends to go out the window when trying something new.  So I took them to the toilet 1st thing in the morning and every 2 hours after that.  I would use the sign for toilet and point to the picture and then take them.  It took a while but they finally made the association. 

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:47 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I got a little book in a package of pull-ups and never saw it since. It was by Charmin. I know that won't help you, but it broke down toitleting in to small steps.
    1 Head to the potty when you think you have to go. Tell him to listen to his body and give him examples of sensations he will have when he needs use the toilet.
    2 Take your time and be sure you are all done. We use to have to count to 10 to get my adhd/autistic son to stay on or near the toilet until something happened.
    Then it talked about using tissue without wasting or making a mess, flushing, and washing hands.
    I also agree with teamquinn that picture cards help and taking him often to the toilet even when he fights you about it. Pardon the pun, but this too shall pass.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 12:32 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• The TEACCH method is one example. Go to Google and type in "Techniques for potty training children with Autism" and you will get a long list. Some parents I know have used alarms that sound when the child begins to wet even slightly. Most use a timed toileting schedule and take their child at scheduled times. You will need to read and see which one fits your child. Good Luck!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 8:43 AM on Jun. 18, 2009