Protein shake diet or meal replacement...

I was thinking about drinking mostly protein shakes or drinking something as a meal replacement or two in order to lose the weight I need. I don't know what else would work out there...yes i know eating right and exercising but I'm almost 40 and man is it hard to get it off. I've been working out for a couple of months and my love handles seem to be getting bigger...that's my only trouble spot that I hate and I'm thinking non evasive surgery is the next step...any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• If your middle is your most important issue to you, then remember that protein shakes also have sugar to make it palatable (unless there are drinks that don't i'm not aware of.) The way that a protein shake works is that it contains enough protein so that you don't feel hungry longer. It takes the body 5 1/2 hours to digest good protein, but in the shake form, not so long. With the sugar factored in, that makes your insulin spike and then drop. That then can make you feel not only sluggish a few hours later, but then hungry again. The drink is also meant to help you control your calorie intake. This can work, but only if you are making sure that you taking in quality calories the other two meals.

If you choose to use this method, I would suggest making sure that you eat a good full breakfast of protein (eggs, meat, etc.), fruit, maybe some nuts for more protein, and a glass of veg. juice. This would give you about...
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:35 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• ....about 300 calories. Drink the shake for lunch (prob. what? 300 calories?) That equals approx. 600 now. If you feel hungry later before dinner I would pop 7-10 almonds or a couple stalks of celery with laughing cow cheese spread or a low fat cheese stick (these being around 100 cals). Then for dinner, make it very easy: 4 oz. of good quality protein (lean chick breast, lean beef, salmon, etc.) and either a good full veg. salad with dress. of your choice (you don't have to use diet dressings), or 2-3 servings of steamed or grilled vegetables, and piece of fruit for dessert.

This alone would be a clean enough diet to help you lose weight perfectly. You do need to remember that your body needs enough servings of fruits and veg. during the day along with good protein. Eliminating breads and starches are easy enough. We can talk perfect exercise later. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:41 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I use the Costco protein shakes and love them and have lost weight but I'm excercising 4-5x a week too. plus lifting weights. I also make smoothies at home with protein powder and a nonfat yougurt and skim milk,
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:36 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• When you go on a diet, or use a diet aid, you are just putting yourself on the gain/loss rollercoaster; frustrating for you, & hard on your body. In order to get to and maintain a healthy weight, you need to have a healthy lifestyle; this has the added bonus of setting a great example for your kids.
    Start with regular exercise, as simple as walking, for at least 20 min a day at least 3 times a week. Next, drink your water! at least 8 8oz glasses a day. Now, eat your fruits & veggies! 7-8 servings a day, in at least three different colors. Eat your whole grains (loaded with fiber, protein, and lots of energy-giving nutrients), 6-7 servings a day. Cut way back on (or eliminate) meat & dairy. Add beans, lentils & tofu to your diet. You can get free meal plans and recipes from Dr. McDougall, or find his books at your local library: http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html. Feel free to ask me any questions. -Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 5:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2009