Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What can I do about my daughters anger?

I have a 6 year old daughter that has really changed over the past few months. Temper, my word!! Her Dad and I have been divorced over a year now. He is very active in her life, however he just remarried so my daughter now has a step mom, and step brother. So having to share not only her Daddy, must be confusing.
And my boyfriend and myself have recently combined households so I'm sure that is an issue with her.
What concerns me the most is her verbal outbursts. I've heard her say, "I'm just stupid"! "I'm just gonna kill myself"! "I need a brain"! 'I need a shot to make me smart"!
What do I do and how can I help turn her confidence around? Is this normal? Is she just lashing out to get attention?????????????

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Answers (4)
  • first of all for a 6 yr old that is too much to handle you and your ex husband need to sit down with her and talk to her she is acting out because she wants her mom and dad together and she has new people in her life and she is not sure how to handle it right now at her age would you but yourself in her shoes for one min

    Answer by nakita72 at 11:55 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • Sounds like she is hearing this from someplace...TV? Repeating it from somewhere/someone else? Ask her why she think she thinks she is stupid? Let her know you don't think is disappointing to you to hear her say that because you think she is a smart little girl. Tell her that you can see that  she seems to be frustrated lately and you were wondering what is bothering her. Most kids will tell you when you ask. Check out the anger and self-confidence section on this link  the book maybe helpful for her to read.


    Answer by momjs at 12:07 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

  • Is this coming from school performance or changes in expectations at her dad's house? Sounds like you need to call a meeting of the adults in her life and get evebody working consistently with the same positive reinforcements and calm disipline.

    Answer by tiggermom803 at 12:18 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

  • Your daughter needs professional counseling immediately. Ask your pediatrician for a referral.


    Answer by teacher-author at 9:01 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.