Is 7 (almost 8) old enough to mow the lawn?

My husband and I are having a disagreement about this. I think that our son is not old enough to mow the lawn, and my husband (who grew up on a farm), thinks that he is. While I will not change my mind about this, I wanted to see what other moms thought. Thanks!

KadenTaeasmom

Asked by KadenTaeasmom at 11:52 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• 8 is too young...a lawn mower can be very dangerous
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 11:54 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I don't see why not, as long as he's taught safety about starting the mower.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 11:54 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• A seven (almost 8) year old will not mow in a straight line. I tried...
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 11:55 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Ummm. There is no way I'd let my 7 1/2 y/o mow the lawn. He is NOT old enough, strong enough, or responsible enough. I would let my child mow the lawn at 11, maybe 10.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 11:58 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I'm sorry but....I was raised on a farm too....and 8 year olds did not mow the yard....there are too many dangerous things that can happen. Besides....how straight do you think a 8 year old can cut a yard?  Be serious.

CountryGal6320

Answer by CountryGal6320 at 11:59 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• i was mowing a 3 acre yard (on a riding mower) when i was 9.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 12:01 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• My neighbor's son cut his foot off a few years ago when he was on the riding lawn mower with his grandpa. Since then, I won't even let my kids in the yard when someone else is cutting the grass.

My kids probably won't touch the mower until they are in their teens.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• My cousin will be 8 next month, I cant imagine putting him on a lawn mower! NO WAY!
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:09 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Nope. Mine was 10 but he was BIG for his age (5'2" and 140 lbs).
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:11 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• CountryGal, Let's just say my husband was raised...differently...on a farm. With little or no supervision. He was on a tractor with his grandpa when he was 3, and his grandpa moved him over, turned to flip a lever, and ended up breaking dh's leg because whatever he flipped came down and hit dh in the leg. To this day dh's mother says it was dh's fault because he moved back into the way. I tend to disagree and think it's grandpas fault. But yeah, you are all right about the mowing straight lines thing, he definitely wouldn't. I'm not even sure he'd be able to start the mower, and I certainly don't think he should be near the lawn mower.
    KadenTaeasmom

Answer by KadenTaeasmom at 12:12 AM on Jun. 18, 2009