Adopting a greyhound?

We aren't able to have pets in our apartment, but we look forward to when we can... we were looking at the website for the local SPCA shelter, and they also help with greyhound adoption. I've never been that interested in greyhounds as a breed, really, but in reading more about them it seems that this might be something we're interested in. I guess I just never realized how great they are. :-)

Anyone here have experience adopting greyhounds who were formerly race dogs? Any tips, advice, resources?

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 12:03 AM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Pets

• Greyhound rescues do not play around with the families they adopt to. At least here in Washington, they prescreen you hardcore. They actually go to your home to inspect it and make sure your yard is big enough, that its fenced in with the proper sized fence, test your kids around them,etc. You also must agree to let them come to your home at anytime in the future so they can check on the dog. So be prepared for that. I have always wanted to adopt an ex racer but have yet to be in the right home for it. Good luck! Here is a website from a local Greyhound rescue here and their list of requirements. http://www.greyhoundpetsinc.org/faqs.html#require
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 7:14 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• A very close friend of mine adopted a retired racer.....I think it;s awesome that people do it....anyway, he was a little skiddish at first, not nippy, just VERY shy and kept to himself. They have a "tattoo" inside their ear with their racing number so he didn't like anyone to touch his ears too much...He loved to have a long walk everyday and he literally just rested the rest of the time...when I would go visit, i would forget that he was there! Those dogs are angels. I absolutely HATE dog and horse racing, but anyway, another subject for another day =) but I think it would be awesome! when my dogs pass on, that will be what we do....as far as resources, I would imagine your best bet would be www.petfinder.com and just type in greyhound and the rescue groups will pop up....good luck =)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:15 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• My mom used to have one, she also lived in Washington (Snohomish) Her dog was the sweetest thing ever, very playful and quiet. She too loved to go for runs and walks, spent the rest of the day dozing on the couch.
    It was unfortunate that my mom never really gave her the exercise she really needed, it would have done them both a world of good. My mom also became good friends with the foster people that she got Sammy from, I met them both once and they were very nice. When my mom got sick and had to be moved into a care facility, the people took the dog back to live with them. The didn't try to adopt her out again though, said she was getting too old, and they had the room.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 8:50 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• We actually adopted one years ago. Her name was Amelia and she was great except we were young and didn't have her retrained by a professional. She chewed everything and anything including door frames. We could never leave food out because she would eat it, (marinating steaks, bags of chips, cookies etc). We ended up giving her back after she ate the wall.
    These dogs are wonderful but need an immense amount of exercise and they must be retrained including crate trained because some will go nuts if left alone. They are great dogs but you can't expect to just bring them home and have everything be perfect right off the bat
    A lot of love and some effort will give you much satisfaction having a greyhound.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:06 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Greyhounds are great dogs for the right people. LIke someone else said, Greyhound rescues will prescreen very thoroughly so the actual rescue is the best place to help figure out if a hound is the breed for you. A friend of ours adopted two and they are awesome dogs, perfect for his lifestyle. We actually considered one years ago but decided against one because we wanted a more playful dog that would be better suited for our lifestyle and our family.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:54 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Thanks so much for all the input! Very helpful. It will be at least another year before we're able to even consider bringing a dog into our home... but in the meantime we'll be looking into greyhound adoption. I think it's wonderful that they screen so carefully. Too many people get dogs that are not at all suited to their lifestyles (because they like the dog's looks, or had one when they were a kid) and it's a disaster for everyone involved.

Thanks again!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 1:41 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I have two Whippets which look like small Greyhounds and I'm on a few Whippet message boards. There are quite a few people that have both Whippets and Greyhounds. One site I know a few of the greyhound owners frequent is www.greytalk.com. You could go there and get lots of advice from Greyhound owners. Typically Greyhounds are major couch potatoes in the house. They need a good long walk or a good run in a secure fenced area once a day. That's it. My girls are the same way and supposedly Greys are more of couch potatoes than Whippets. Martingale collars are a MUST! Greyhounds are actually pretty good dogs for apartments if the apartment has a higher or no weight limit. The people on Greytalk can give you more info regarding training and introducing Greys into a home environment. You can also adopt one that has been fostered and has already started that process. See if you can go to a Greyhound Meet-n-Greet.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Be careful if you have children and or other small pets. A sighthound's nature is to chase and kill. Quite a few retired track hounds can be hard if not impossible to break of this, as it is bred into them and instinctual.We have had many surrendered in the clinic over the years for euthanasia because they could not adapt to home life. Many a good family companion suffered at the hands of a rescue GH. Young children have also been injured when run down by the so called family GH. Having had the number one coursing GH in the country, I know their ability and strength first hand.They are first and foremost a hunter, second a family companion. People will tell you anything when they are at their limits with any breed. New homes must be found and unfortunately not all are placed appropriately. Do your homework as GH's are abundant in numbers and so are the rescues for them.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 3:48 PM on Jun. 18, 2009