What do you think of the phenomenon Stigmata?

Stigmata is spontaneous manifestation of bloody wounds on a person's hands, feet, forehead and back - similar to the wounds of the crucified Jesus. Those who describe stigmata categorize these experiences as divine or mystical. History tells us that many ecstatic bear on hands, feet, side, or brow the marks of the Passion of Christ with corresponding and intense sufferings. These are called visible stigmata. Others only have the sufferings, without any outward marks, and these phenomena are called invisible stigmata.

There have been over 500 reported stigmatics who have displayed wounds similar to those inflicted upon Jesus. The first recorded case of these wounds was in the year 1222, by a man named Stephen Langton of England. Saint Francis of Assisi first suffered the wounds in La Verna, Italy, in 1224.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 12:08 AM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have done a great amount of study on this subject as well. I think it's facinating. St. Francis of Assisi was the first to experience this back in 1224. I don't feel he was the type of man to fake something like this. He was very holy. Now, there is are many IFs here. It could be a mind over matter thing. Because most, but not all, stigmatics have wounds in their hands, not their wrists, which means they are not replicant of those that Jesus would have had. So, their are either fakes or they are a simple mind over matter when the mind has the wrong understanding. OR they truly could be devine and "gifts" as they are seen by a god that understands human misunderstanding. There are no real answers on this subject but I find it greatly interesting. And personally feel that of all the cases reported most are most likely a mind over matter - Note I said MOST...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:22 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Well imo I think it's the work o f the Devil. The people who get these marks are usually catholic and are usually nuns or priests. Well when someone has stigmata happen they are regarded as holy. They are treated Godlike. God says do not worhip anyone but me.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 12:10 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• It seems weird to me that most Stgimatic's wounds appear on the palms of their hands. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't it been determined that during a crucifixtion, the nails would go through the wrists and not the palms of the hands? This points towards those wounds being psychosomatic and not a miracle.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:14 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• well said rhanford!
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 12:17 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I think it is either over active imagination, the power of suggestion or at worst Satan imitating Christ for the purpose of drawing worship away from Christ to humans. 

There was only one Christ, one savior, one messiah. 

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:01 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I saw a movie with Patricia Arquette called Stigmata years ago and I found it interesting, almost spiritual. We can either believe it is one of our own suffering Christs crucification because he is trying to show us that we are just as human and holy as Christ was a man in a human condition, or if you choose to believe it is the devil calling us to worship someone other then Christ.....hmmm I am no expert nor am I well read. I have just picked up what sticks to my mind and heart.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 4:30 AM on Jun. 18, 2009