Okay, I want to hear some good things about FORMULA!

I am writing a paper (I really need links, not just personal opinions). Personally, I breastfeed, but I do not think it's something everyone should HAVE TO do. I don't believe that breastfeeding is the only answer to feeding a child, however, I can not find any good sources on why formula isn't evil. Just wondering if some of you might be able to help.

kitten_shuga

Asked by kitten_shuga at 12:09 AM on Jun. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Sorry. I don't think there is anything good about formula.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• me neither. i guess if you have meds that you have to take, then it's good. breastfeeding is the way God intended for you to feed your baby.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 12:18 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I was told that with my depression I could get meds that would help me if I weren't breastfeeding. So sometimes mom's health needs to be adressed in a way that is unsafe to breastfeed. When mom has to go back to work and the pumping isn't working for her, she can still be able to give her child the nutrition the child needs while keeping her sanity.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• There's not a lot of information to be found.

Formula feeders are more focused on feeding their children rather than "proving" why someone else's way is wrong.

BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 12:28 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Really fucking cute, anon. Classic.

Honestly, formula saved my life. I was *this* close to slitting my wrists when my daughter was born, and breastfeeding was not helping the problem whatsoever. She was going hungry and I was exhausted beyond recognition. Formula saved her life and mine. I do not care what anyone tells me, you were not there so therefore you do not have the right to tell me what I was thinking and feeling at that time.

Also, formula is good because you can give the baby up to a family member to get something done or get some much-needed rest. Yes, I know you can do that with breastfeeding, but with formula, you don't even have to pump anything.

Formula has saved many babies who could not have their mother's milk. What about adopted newborns? Or what if a mother is taking medicine that passes through breastmilk? There are medical reasons for formula. I am glad it is there for those of us who want it.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:29 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Op here. I swear, half the people on cafemom have lost their mind. I do not need to be told that breast is best. Breastfeeding my children works for me, but after countless HOURS of nursing, exhaustion, and lack of support from anyone, I know that it's also hard. Heck, ever had to latch a baby on a cracked bloody nipple OUCH! I do not believe it makes anyone a bad parent not to want to breastfeed. You have to take into account the social and emotional aspects of breastfeeding, you have to let yourself understand that not everyone was raised thinking breastfeeding is something you should do. It's not as easy to just forget about what your friends, family, strangers, and even your husband thinks. I don't want some stupid debate, I want links. There has to be some out there...
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 12:35 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• http://www.babycenter.com/0_choosing-to-formula-feed_471.bc
    ljmcmichael

Answer by ljmcmichael at 12:43 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/183678/baby_formula_benefits_of_the_bottle.html?cat=25

=] I googled 'benefits of baby formula'. There's not much out there, yikes. But I don't need to search for justification of my actions, meh. Hope that helps!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:46 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• http://kidshealth.org/parent/food/infants/breast_bottle_feeding.html#a_Formula_Feeding__The_Advantages

ljmcmichael

Answer by ljmcmichael at 12:50 AM on Jun. 18, 2009