How do I get my baby's belly button to dry out right?

Well, his unbillicord thing got tore off because he moves so much and now it's just like this open thing, but I have been putting alcohol on it like the doctor said. It's still not drying out right and I keep him in just a diaper so that it isn't covered up.

silver_star1177

Asked by silver_star1177 at 12:26 AM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• just let the air get to it..it will heal. keep it clean and dry. sounds like you're doing fine.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:27 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• you can also try using a dry qtip around the base where its starting to separate, the hospital told me to do this w/my second and it fell off in 9 days, my first they said to use alcohol on it and it took a month. otherwise, just keep it dry and let the air get to it as long as keeping baby naked doesn't get baby too cold.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:29 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Just leave it alone. It will heal
    Lauren24

Answer by Lauren24 at 12:31 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• It should heal on its own. Try to avoid getting it wet. My doctor had to put Zinc? I think it was inside of her belly button to help it. I would give it two weeks or so... but call the doctor if your concerned at all.
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 12:33 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Air is the best way...put him in a sleeper and keep it unzipped or unbuttoned. Skip the full body bath for a few days.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:07 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• My doctor put iodine (sp*) on it to help dry it out....you should ask about it, and in the meantime use a q-tip with alcohol on it to clean and let air dry. It will heal.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 1:09 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I just let it naturally fall out.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 4:13 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Although not a first time mom, if I come across something I am not familiar with I call the pediatrician's office to ask questions or ease my mind. When I was taking my newborn home (Aug.2008)the baby's nurse said, "remember to keep the umbilical cord area dry, and clean only with an alcohol swab to help dry and to keep it clean. If you notice an opening, oozing, smell, around the area call the pediatrician. You don't need to help make it fall of. It'll happen on its own. My son's umbilical cord took 3 weeks and my daughter's took almost 2 weeks. I sponge bathed them until the cords fell off. It's a precaution for infections. All of the mom's advices are all helpful information. But all babies are different and the cord will eventually fall off. My motto for my children is: If I'm uncertain ASK the Pediatrician. If they are concerned they'll make time for my children that day or make an appt. for them the following day.
    spool

Answer by spool at 5:25 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• once my daughter's came off my doc said to clean it with soap and water.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 10:57 AM on Jun. 18, 2009