How important is your credit to you?

Just curious....I work in the collections dept. of a fairly wide spread bank and am amazed at how little people seem to care about their credit score. If you do not make a payment within 30days of the due date, a mark goes on your credit. If you stop making payments and have your car repo'd that stays on your credit for like 7yrs!! Still no matter how many times I say "ma'am/sir I just need to make you aware that if your account goes 30 days past due, it will put a mark on your credit," I almost always get the same answer "So? How does that hurt me?".......it's insane!!!

So, Is your credit score important to you?? Or do you feel like it is just totally unimportant??

soccerchik8287

Asked by soccerchik8287 at 12:58 AM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Money & Work

• Mine is very important to me. I've never so much as been late on a single bill in my entire life. I'm in my thirties and have a very high credit score.
    I also don't understand people who are like that. To me its the same thing as theft if you run up credit and don't pay it back. That's stealing and 100% wrong! Thanks for asking this question!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Mine is getting better but I swear to God next time a collection agency threatens me I will blow a horn into the phone and bust their ear drums. Seriously, don't threaten me with my husband's career, I know better than that.
    MHaney1980

Answer by MHaney1980 at 1:30 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I'm going to have to say it's not at all important to me. We pay our bills on time (utilities, rent, etc.), but since we are living a debt free life style, I could care less what's on my credit report. Yeah that's right-- CASH IS KING :D
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 4:25 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Ours is very important to us because we know that most loans cannot be obtained and most interest rates will not be low if your credit report is bad. Ours was in the high 700's when we bought our house and we got an excellent interest rate. When I lost my job and haven't been able to find another one - yet, we called the major credit card companies we have and asked for help. They have allowed us to switch to a one year low payment while finance fees stop. They call it hardship payments and it has helped a lot. Our credit score has dipped into the low 700's due to this, but we know that once I get a job and we get back on our feet then we'll be able to improve our credit score again.
    Credit is so very important!!!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:00 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I'm with Erica_Smerica! We also live a debt free lifestyle. No need to worry about our credit score to get a loan because we DON'T GET LOANS ANYMORE! Before we decided to become debt free our FICO was 839, almost perfect. Not because we had a lot of loans and credit cards, but because we pay our bills on time.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:57 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I must say that I don't really care about my credit score. Like Erica_Smerica and michiganmom116 we live a debt free lifestyle. Our only debt is our mortgage and we are paying that off as quickly as possible. My Hubby and I are both the children of Depression "Babies" so we don't do debt . We pay our bills on time or early every month mostly because I hate having any debt hanging over me. While I do use a credit card on occasion, as soon as I get home, I pay the amount that I charged usually before the charge hits the account. I only use a credit card for a big purchase, like for the kitchen remodel that we are doing, so that if there is a problem with an item, I have the leverage of the credit card company to help me straighten it out. Other than that, I use cash or a debit card for everything else. If there isn't enough money to cover what I want to buy, then I don't really need it until I save enough money for it
    Jamjar5174

Answer by Jamjar5174 at 8:30 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• My credit WAS very important to me. I had a high 700 and paid very well. In the fall of 08' the ecconomic slump effected my hubby's career first and the hardest. I am a SAHM so there was nothing I could do when the pay check was too small to pay a creditor. My health and family are MORE important than a credit score. So I have taken a hard hit on my score, but I have learned to do the best I can to feed, shelter and cloth my family in the mean time. SO when someone like you threaten my credit score, SO what. Do you realy think I don't know? Do you really think I have the money and just want to not pay?? Do you realy think I am not already stressed out when I get the same phone call from all the creditor everyday??
    Sometimes life isn't perfect or we get thrown a surprise. I guess my "magic score" isn't as important as I once thought.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• My credit is important to me. However hubby is disabled and can't work. I can not find a job to save my life. We are barely getting by. I have creditors calling me and I know I am responsible to pay but I can't. So even though I know it hurts my score I have no choice. Some people act like we chose on purpose not to pay and that is not the case. I have been financially responsible all my life but you never know what life will throw at you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I know people who are like that and it blows my mind. Credit scores are incredibly important and my husband and I are very careful to keep our very high score where it is.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:00 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• my credit wasn't too important to me then my FIL died. everything was in his name...so the MIL had NOTHING - no credit whatsoever - I'm on everything jointly with dh and have some things in my name only.

I think your credit is soooo important! without it you are kind of screwed in some instances.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:39 AM on Jun. 18, 2009