What type of bowl for your dog or cat is best to eat out of?

Plastic, stainless steel or glass (yeah right...glass)???

What do you recommend or use?

Thanks Ladies

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Pets

• Stainless steel is the very best IMO. Next would be ceramic. Plastic is the worst as it harbors bacteria and can also cause allergy issues in animals.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:52 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Also for drinking water...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I like the stainless steel ones. I am always afraid my dog will break the ceramic ones and get cut! My dog also tends to get a little over excited with the plastic ones and chews them up too lol. The best kind are the ones on the metal pedestools that way they don't have to lean down to eat and insects don't get into it quite as easily either.
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 1:10 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• my dog uses plastic..but its a hard, good quality plastic..lol
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:02 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Stainless Steel...if you have a large breed dog you should get a stand to lift it off the ground so they don't get bloat.
    BethTTC

Answer by BethTTC at 4:00 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I bought the cool looking green plastic ones from IKEA. They are like less than $2, go thru the dishwasher perfectly, and I have several in case I leave one somewhere when we travel. They work well for our 2 shih tzu's and I put them on a small piece of carpet. I like them b/c they go in the d/w. :) Works for us.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:46 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I think it depends on the animal you have... for our huskies we've got 2 large stainless steel bowls apiece. One for their food and one for their water and they're in this holder that keeps them off the floor because number one it's better for large and extra large breeds and number two they're both so hyper that they spill it everywhere... and this way they won't!
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 9:15 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Stainless steel is what vets recommend. Plastic is a big no-no. It gets tiny little scratches and notches that cut the pet's tongue and lips.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:17 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Ceramic and glass bowls can get broken, resulting in cuts to your pet's mouth or feet or even to cuts on your feet while cleaning it up. Plastic can irritate the tips of the ears in some dogs with floppy ears. (Cocker spaniels, beagles, etc.) Stainless steel is unbreakable, washable, and doesn't cause allergies or skin irritations. If you have a tall dog, put the food and water in a rack to make them higher off the floor so the dog doesn't have to bend so far to get his food. Make sure the bowl is the right size for your dog to eat out of comfortably.

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:32 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I use a good sized ceramic bowl. I wouldn't use plastic. I don't really see how ceramic or glass would get broken that easily other than by me dropping it when I'm filling it. The bowl is on the floor out of the way and the dogs drink out of it. They don't play with it.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2009