My son demanding money

My son who is 18 years old quit high school, won't go to his GED classes. Is demeaning I give him the back own(back 6year his father no long pays child support because he quit school) child support. He said the money is his, he has moved out with his girlfriend. What do you all think about that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• its not his. its yours to spend on him. havent you been paying for all his stuff anyways. so that money is just payback for you. guess he shouldnt have moved out. if you give him the money now he wont realize that moving out = growing up.
    MrsDuff

Answer by MrsDuff at 1:08 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I would tell him tough shit and to get himself an lawyer and take you to court over it. I don't mean this to be disrespectful, but if he wants a worthless piece of society and not even finish high school than why in the world should anyone accomodate his needs or wants? He's got a tough life ahead of him and he's gonna have to learn that own his own...that without a high school diploma...he's bascially limited to flipping burgers for the rest of his life. Yep. Get a lawyer and take me to court over it. That's what I would say. Otherwise sucks for you.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:11 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• This is a little confusing. He is eighteen and a legal adult. Did you mean his dad owes back child support payments? If you raised him as a single mom you had to sacrifice. A dad's child support in no way fully supports a child. In many cases it will just cover childcare and a few other incidentals. If he wants to live with his girlfriend, I guess they will just have to get jobs. He will have to be a big boy and take care of himself.
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 1:18 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I WOULD DEFINITLY NOT GIVE THAT TO HIM. WHY SHOULD HE BE REWARDED FOR QUITTING SCHOOL AND MOVING OUT. IF ITS A HUGE ISSUE I WOULD TELL HIM GO GET YOUR GED THEN WHEN YOU HAVE IT ILL GIVE IT TO YOU.
    ALLIE637

Answer by ALLIE637 at 4:47 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I THINK YOU ARE BENG MANIPULATED BY A SON WHO HAS PROBABLY BEEN DOING THIS FOR MOST OF HIS LIFE, AND NOW THAT HE IS AN ADULT, YOU WONDER WHAT TO DO. WELL, FOR ONE DO NOT GIVE HIM THE $ TELL HIM THAT IN THE REAL WORLD EVERYONE WORKS FOR HIS PAY. AND NUMBER TWO, WHY DO I GET THE IMPRESSION THAT YOU ARE SOMEWHAT AFRAID OF YOUR SON? AM I WRONG?

Answer by older at 8:32 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• No I'm not afraid of him. I'm not given him the money, but one of sisters thought I should so I wanted to get other ideas on it.
    karen2869

Answer by karen2869 at 10:55 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Um, no. Child support is for the parent to take care of the child. You wouldn't have been putting it in an account for him, would you? Then why should he get it now?
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:28 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Thisboy is 18 years old know. The money that comes from child support was ment to help you raise him. First of all he shouldn't be damanding anything from you thats just disrespectful. Second of all if he wants to play the fairness game tell him he owns 17 years of pay checks for the money you spent on him. Tell him that, that money should really be yours. The tell him to subtract the money that he thinks is his.
    Anonymous

• I think that boy has lost his mind. Just tell him no and leave it at that. Sorry, but your boy is being - uh - not very smart. I wouldn't bother arguing with an 18 year old.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 1:14 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• If it were my son, I'd tell him to take me to court.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 8:13 AM on Jun. 19, 2009