Assistance for a mom without ANy insurance and VERY limited income.Could Contain TMI

I have a lot of health problems and tonight on Mystery diagnosis they could have been telling my story. Well darn close anyway and they have suspected a type of hypothyroidism in the past when I did have insurance...Back to tonight's show. It showed Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. The symptoms that I have that match are Constipation, depression,(current diagnosis is bipolar but NO meds are helping none helped when it was diagnosed as depression either.)Dry Rough Skin, Fatigue,Weight gain for no apparent reason. (60 pounds in little over 9 months no pregnancy involved. ) Oh and my last thyroid panel 6 months ago was low but not worrying levels...The condition is treatable with a medication called Levothroid or Levothyroxin. I can get the medication at HEB for 9.99 for a 90 day supply..the problem im running into now is a doctor to prescribe it and give me a final diagnosis. Here's the thing I have NO insurance and can't get state aid

Tygermommanikki

Asked by Tygermommanikki at 1:17 AM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Health

• My social services office's case worker's advice was to just get pregnant*(that's what she said in march before they took it away over a dollar technicality). I talked to my doctor and he thinks that wile my thyroid is low it's in the low normal range so he wasnts me to just deal with the sinuses headaches that the cymbalta is causing and go back to taking it although I feel worse on it. Ugh it is so true it's a Practice of Medicine !!! Im closing this question and thank all who responded.
    Tygermommanikki

Answer by Tygermommanikki at 7:28 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Oh and by the way im in Texas.
    Tygermommanikki

Answer by Tygermommanikki at 1:18 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• you need labs to confirm but this is rarer than you think you may just have low thyroid. try buying insurance cheap
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I haven't found CHEAP insurance! i don't qualify for state insurance cause of a technicality and am not eligible for insurance through my part time job. And my part time job causes more pain but it could be a year before I see a judge over disability claim for all other medical conditions combined.And if the judge was to approve my disability it would be another 2 years before I would qualify for Medicare.. I don't know how I can manage another 3 years in this much pain and agony.
    Tygermommanikki

Answer by Tygermommanikki at 1:40 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Try looking into Homeopathic remedies. I think some work, just depends on how bad it is and what kind of treatment you used.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 4:35 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Have you tried your local health department? When I was out of work and uninsured that is where I ended up having to go. My local health department saw you on a sliding scale basis depending on how much you made. They also paid for any outside testing I needed.
    That is all the advice I have. I am sorry. I have been in this situation and it really is not a fun place to be. It can be aggravating and discouraging, but try to keep your head up and look for answers in your area. If the health department cant help maybe they can head you in the right direction. Best of luck ((HUGS))
    dianna2402

Answer by dianna2402 at 6:59 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Have you or are you taking lithium for the bipolar? I took lithium and it made my thyroid slow. Ive been off of it for a long time and my thyroid is normal.you are supposed to have blood tests when on lithium to watch that sort of thing. Lithium is ofteen prescribed for bipolar in combo with other drugs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Sorry for your hard times. 9.99 is relatively inexpensive for a 90 day supply of levothyroid. It cost me that much for a 30 day supply. Some doctors are willing to prescribe a double the MG amount and have you cut the pill in half. That would give you a 180 day supply. Symptom wise, yours are quite common with hypothyroidism.
    joylee

Answer by joylee at 8:41 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I liked dianna's answer. Your local health department would certainly be an option. As she said, if they are not able to take care of you they certainly would be able to lead you in the right direction.
    joylee

Answer by joylee at 8:49 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Hi, Take a look at my site. www.santeehealthplus.com . We have a Discount plan that would allow you to go and get those tests done. You also have a 24/7 Nurse-line that you can call and go over your symptoms and the RN can get those tests ordered for you. The plans are on a monthly basis, no contract to sign, use it while you need it and cancel if you don't need it anymore. It's an option. If you need more information you can just got to my profile and contact me. Good Luck.

SonjaSC

Answer by SonjaSC at 11:27 AM on Jun. 18, 2009