Do you think it's ok to give a child melatonin to help them sleep?

For those who don't know...Melatonin is a hormone naturally produced by our bodies to help regulate sleep and wake cycles. It can also be found in pill form.

Would you ever consider giving this to your child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• nope
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Only if they had a disorder causing them not to produce enough for good sleep. I have a niece with a seizure disorder and she takes a melatonin supplement. Otherwise she doesnt sleep at all.

However, If I simply wanted a good nights sleep, or wanted my perfectly healthy toddler to sleep better, I'd probably stick to the chamomile tea.

If you do decide to do this, I'd research it quite a bit first. Make sure it's safe and you cant overload your body with it.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 2:15 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I give this to my daughter. Her doc OK'd it. She wasn't going to bed until 1 a.m. or so and getting up at 7:30 or 8. And wouldn't take a nap. She just wasn't getting enough sleep no matter what. I changed her diet, everything. So she takes a very small amount and sleeps good!

I feel so much better about giving her this since it's a natural hormone already found in our bodies.
    minivanmommy

Answer by minivanmommy at 2:31 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• no. if you give it to them on a regular basis their body can stop producing it altogether, thus making them dependant. we use sleepytime or chammomile tea for restless nights.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 2:38 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• If a kid isn't worn out enough for bed I don't think they are getting enough exercise
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:33 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Depends on age and other factors. As a regular supplement NO unless prescribed by a doctor. My ex's son had ADHD and occasionally would be too wired for bed so we would give him some, but it was not an every day occurrence and he was 10 year old when we started giving it per doctors advice.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:26 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I would depend on discussing first with the pediatrician and getting an okay. I only take it for myself when certain stresses in life rob me of my normal sleep pattern.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:45 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Nope.
    Anonymous

• No. Why would mess with a child's hormone. If you keep the bedroom dark, his body will produce the proper amount of melatonin.
    Try chamomile tea

Answer by rkoloms at 12:33 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Yes I would if my child was having issues:

From my sister to me: Here are some facts:

melatonin production declines RAPIDLY with age. It is made by the pineal gland, which shrivels up as we age.
    it is said that up to ten mg a day is BENEFICIAL to reduce incidences of breast cancer - but you only need 3 mg a night for a good sleep (an adult)
    it is an interesting phenomena that if your body makes enough, then taking melatonin will have no noticeable effect on you. If on the other hand you have little, it will act well on you!
    Here is a good summary of melatonin from Vanderbilt university http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/psychology/health_psychology/melatonin.htm#%20What%20is%20being%20said%20about%20melatonin
    including research that says it increases life span of mice by 20%
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:54 AM on Jul. 21, 2009