Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where can I go or what can I do to receive more financial finances to help my son who has Aspergers (Autism) and is Dyslexic

Hi Mums,
I hope that things are reasonable well.

I home school my child & he is with me most of the time.
In some things he is still like a little child.

My son has Aspergers (Autism) I am finding out but to slow to get him help on his reading & writing He did go to school
but he was bullied by other children &
He was yelled by his teacher
He was also kept in at play time to finish his writing.
he is able to write the letters but has trouble reading and comprehending various situations that you and I take for granted.
since we live a long way from the nearest city where I would like to meet his special
needs I also need funding for activities.
At the moment my financial situation does not cover this

Plus I get upset easily & I have seeked & received help from my doctor
(I take an antidepressant) I was in an abusive relationship (mentally & physically)
before I met my son'

Answer Question

Asked by Dragon131 at 2:35 AM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Doesn't he get SSI social security? My sister has disabilities and she has a case worker and SSI, and grant money that can be spent on her to help her life with her disability. Your Social Security office should be able to help and recommend places to contact. Good luck! There is a lot out there, don't despair!

    Answer by Seven07 at 4:23 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

  • In West Virginia we have something called Title 19 Waiver Program. Do you have that? Depending on where you live, call your State Department of Education, look to see if you have any special programs in your county or state for children with Autism. Call your local school system and ask about programs that support their students and provide financial assistance.

    Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 8:49 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

  • I hate that our country doesn't help with this. Most insurances don't cover treatment for Autism and it's horrible.

    In addition to the above referenced contacts (Local Dept. of Education, mental health department) also try: (These places may have local resources or funding for assistance)

    Answer by CoolGirlChris at 2:41 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

  • If your child has a disability they qaulify for SSI and along with it state provided insurance
    call social security and tell them you would like to apply for disability for a minor child. never go through a lawyer unless your claim is denied.
    My oldest has aspergers and was approved with in 6 months. When she turned 18 she had to reapply and was accepted in 2 months

    Answer by wheresthewayout at 10:46 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

  • It depends on ur state. In california there are great programs. Mystep son was diagnosed when he was 2 and a half. He went to a school that had a program for autism. He is now at 12 in main stream classes with a shadow. Please look around for support groups for urself and ur son. they are there. It is harder in small towns and u may have to travel but it is worht it. You should also be getting SSI for ur son. Autism is a dissability. The answer above gives many great web sites visit them. Go to the national level if ur have to the schools are being aloud to not live up to the standerds set and this can no happen anymore. Take care and please post when u find something helpful.

    Answer by chaizarrow at 11:49 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

  • My daughter has a few learning disabilities, and we were just told that our local arc chapter in town would be able to help us out if we needed it. And if he isn't already should be in special education like my Emma. Where they take the time for the child to learn and he should probably be on an IEP or a Title 1. Which every it is where you live. We also can get SSI (social security) and Medical help through our Human Services here in town.

    Answer by Karen6886 at 3:39 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.