I don't understand how baby registries & showers work!

Don't you make the registry so that people know what to buy & bring to the baby shower? Does it matter who throws the shower or can you just do it yourself? How far along is appropriate to do it? I went to one at a church, can I do that too? I'm not sure if I'd even want to throw one , it just seems stressful! Clearly, I'm confused lol!!

mami_Kelse

Asked by mami_Kelse at 2:38 AM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• normally someone would throw the shower for you, it can be thrown wherever you want it to be thrown. i'm assuming the one thrown at the church was thrown by a member of that church. they are normally done between the 6th and 8th month. and you register so people know what it is you need w/o having to tell everyone. the registry will also tell others what has already been brought for you so they don't buy the same thing. you could throw one for yourself if you like, or if you have a close friend or family member you could mention to them that you'd like a shower and would like for them to help plan it, they may just offer to throw it for you.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:53 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• usually someone throws one for you like a friend or mother in law just whoever, then you register at a store and write on the invitation were you registered at. My mother in law threw me a shower and I was 8 months along and I didn't register anywere and everything I got I used
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:54 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• My mom and aunts threw my shower and told me to register at Target. We went around to all the stuff we wanted with the price gun and tagged it all. It was a good piece of mind for me because I am particular about things and I wanted some say in what was being bought. LOL, but hardly anyone got off our list and we loved everything anyway.. (well, a few things got exchanged along with duplicates of stuff!) But registries are supposed to help revent that. Especially for people like me with particular taste and a lot of guests.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 4:21 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• When you go to a store and create a registry you typicaly get little cards saying that is where you are registered and you include them with the invitations. You may want to be a little creative though because a lot of people don't use registries correctly, they go shopping for items you registered for, then they don't tell the cashier it's for a registry, so it doesn't get marked off as "purchased" so others may end up buying the same thing. I got three of one item and the registry still said it was available because no one bothered to mark it. PLUS lots of people decide to get whatever they want anyway, even if it's things you'll never use, or tons of clothes. People aren't smart with clothes. I had received a newborn snow suit and my son was born in JUNE! LOL....
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:40 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• ....So what I did with a cousins shower to stop her from getting things she didn't need was a made cute little cards in kid's writting text that said: "My Grandmas and Mommy have already spoiled me with lots of clothes, but Mommy and I really need the things we are registered for at: Babies R Us" to kind of help people to NOT to stray and it worked well, she didn't get much of anything she didn't register for and just honestly didn't need.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:42 AM on Jun. 18, 2009