My 16 month old daughter won't drink milk anymore! should i still try to give it her anyways??

like i have some chocolate syrup and strawberry syrup that is sugar free that i can add to it for flavor, would that be ok? Or do i just try to give it to her regular

sexxi_mommy09

Asked by sexxi_mommy09 at 3:05 AM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Food & Drink

• my 19 mo old won't drink milk either and i haven't tried that yet... but if I give her about half a cup and pour myself a glass with dinner she drinks some of it. I also found giving her a straw and a real cup is preferred, only if I drink it with her. I'm lactose n tolerant....

My friends add chocolate and strawberry but I feel she's still too little and I don't want to have to add something sweet to get her to like it... if that made sense. It's something up to you, i just found drinking a glass with her a lot more helpful.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:10 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I wouldnt worry about it. Just make sure she is getting her calcuim and protein in other ways. such as cheese and yogurt.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:10 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I'd still offer it to her regular. She doesn't need the extra sugar at that age. You can supplement her diet with extra Vitamin D and calcium in yogurt, cheese, try giving her cereal with milk, and even vitamins if it's that bad.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 4:11 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• i had the same problem with my son. i gave him milk with a drop or two of low sugar chocolate syrup. i lessened the amount of syrup i put in it gradually until it was back to regular milk again. now he loves milk and asks for it all the time.
    TomsMom

Answer by TomsMom at 6:42 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• oh and i also gave him more dairy like cheese and yogurt
    TomsMom

Answer by TomsMom at 6:44 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• My 13 year old has never had a glass of milk (cow, rice, etc.), and she is perfectly healthy.

Remember that cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 6:59 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• When my son flat out refused to drink any type of milk, the doctor said to buy Calcium Fortified orange juice. Try that. I also think it would be fine for you to use a syrup. They also have powders to add to milk that will also contain vitimins. Good luck!
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 7:02 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Since your daugther is not a calf she doesn't need cows milk! You can get the calcium and vit. D easily through food.
    stpalmsgirl

Answer by stpalmsgirl at 7:51 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Try giving her soy milk. A real good one would be anything Silk brand, especially the calcium fortified ones. I drink Silk Very Vanilla soymilk instead of cows milk, which we don't need. It has more calcium in it than the cows milk my DF buys. :P And it's tastier! You can get it in many flavors, including chocolate.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 7:54 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Other sources of calcium:

Leafy green veggies.
    Tofu.
    Hummus.
    Yogurt.
    Ice Cream.
    Cheese.
    Sour cream.
    Soy.
    Most beans and nuts.

Try regular or flavored, calcium fortified if they have it (and they usually do), soy milk, almond milk, or rice milk. All three are much better digested by young children, have lots of vitamins and minerals (Silk soy milk has more stuff in it than milk does), and it's actually made for human consumption. The milk of any animal is meant for the development of the young of THAT species.

There's plenty more sources of it, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Make sure she's also getting enough vitamin D. Most of those things are a source for it as well. Vit D is essential to receiving the benefits of calcium.

You can also give her kiddie vitamins.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 7:58 AM on Jun. 18, 2009