Poor Kitty

Ok so I just went outside to smoke and heard a baby kitten next door. My DH and I heard it this morning too but we couldn't figure out where it was coming from. So I looked in the neighbors driveway and it was under their SUV. So I walked over and it came out and walked to me. I brought it in the house(I'm such a sucker for animals, especially cats) and looked at it in the light. One eye is completely shut and the other is about 25% open. The kitten looks okay other than it's eyes, which I can tell are badly infected. I plan on bringing to the the animal shelter tomorrow(I can't tonight obviously-it is midnight) plus we already have a dog and cat. But what can I do for it until then?? I tried wiping it's eyes with a wet cotton ball but that didn't help! And I am giving it some milk(it looks about 2 weeks old so I'm assuming cat food won't work). SO..what can I do for the poor thing until tomorrow??!!

MadisonsMom0408

Asked by MadisonsMom0408 at 3:12 AM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You need to stop giving it cows milk. Go to Walmart or a pet supply store and get kitten milk replacer. You will need a dropper as well. Keep the warm cotton ball wipe on its eyes, and the humane society should be able to give you drops for the infection. We nursed 3 abandoned kittens to health last summer. The humane society will tell you to put it to sleep, but ignore them if you really have the money and patients to give this cat a good start in life, and you plan on keeping it. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:23 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• wait, why is this under the JUST FOR FUN section? haha

and ur not suppost to give kittens milk, its not easily digested :)
    dennysgirl07

Answer by dennysgirl07 at 3:16 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• you need the kitten formula...milk isnt good for them. Try to keep it warm, and keep wiping its eyes...thats really all you can do for now.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 3:19 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Wipe the eyes with a warm wet washcloth and give it water. I am a sucker for cats also. Good luck and please let us know how he/she is doing!

Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 3:27 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• No cow milk...you will make the baby sick !!!!! Go to Walmart and buy some kitten formula and a little bottle in the pet section....and then wait for the vet to do something with the baby's eyes. Don't mess with them yourself. Are there any other babies out there....where did this little one come from ?
    summerdayz

Answer by summerdayz at 6:18 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• We got a kitten in the same condition but she was somewhere around 8-10 weeks old. Her one eye was so badly infected that she no longer has it = ( She is a great one-eyed kitty! I remember thinking that she might have some problems with depth perception and falling off things when she jumps but she hasn't had any issues with it. I hardly even notice it anymore--it's become so normal.

Good luck to that kitten. Do what the ladies above suggested and post an update.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:33 AM on Jun. 18, 2009