Why does my baby keep waking up at 6am?

DS is 13 months old and has always had sleep issues. We just got to a place about a week ago where he stopped waking at night. His bedtime is 7:30 and he was sleeping through the night until 7am. the last few days he's been waking up crying at 6am. Normally when he wakes up he's happy and playing. Anyhow, he's been waking up early then he's exhausted all day. I tried keeping up a little later, but he still woke up at 6. There's nothing going on in the house that would be waking him at at that time. I really need that extra hour of sleep and dealing with a cranky baby all day is stressing me out! What else can I try???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 AM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I Wish I had some great answer. However my 19 month old Jack has also had the same issues. He is getting better. But I see cycles of good sleep then bad slee[. Possibly teetth also.
    mama32177

Answer by mama32177 at 7:06 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• My son sounds exactly the same way - keeping him up later does NOT work for Max at all. that could just be his new time to get up? my son goes to bed at 7:15 and sleeps til 5:45 - no fail like clockwork for months now - however he had sleep issues since birth also - I know teething has always made him wake up extra times - and during growth spurts - he will sometimes wake up really hungry if he didn't eat much the day before - I just got used to him being my alarm clock and the first thing I do is feed him and it seems to work
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:43 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• If he's waking up early and cranky and typcially wakes up happy, I'd start looking for other causes. Perhaps he's teething? An hour difference in sleep shouldn't make a siginificant difference all day (perhaps towards nap time it would). Putting him to bed later often doesn't work as the child is just more tired and may not sleep as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Is the sun comming through his windows? try darkening his room a little and see if that helps. But it could be teething, my daughter wakes cranky sometimes when she is teething.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 12:18 PM on Jun. 18, 2009