How can you make your home smell good w/o using expensive air freshners?

I always get complimented on how good my home smells when people come over. I use those air freshner plug ins that cost like $6 a piece. I just can't bring myself to continue spending that much money on them but I can't think of another way to keep my home smelling fresh and clean. Any ideas?

vnw1405

Asked by vnw1405 at 7:57 AM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Home & Garden

• citrus peels on the air vents.

potpourri sachets around the house and where ever there's air movement.

mild candles - there are lots that are nice and burn a LONG time

can't use heavy scented things due to severe asthma and allergies.

open the windows for fresh air - just keep the air moving and circulating and it stays fresh
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:36 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Febreeze smells great and lasts a good while, any thing with a lemon scent is also a great smell. There's also a way to bring in to the home the scent of an apple pie baking with out actually baking it, but I can't remember how.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I actually stash scented sachet bag/packets (about $1.50 each) around my home! I place them in drawers, on tops of shelves in little jars, among silk flowers, AND attach them to curtain rods--behind the drapes (for when windows are open), and air conditioning/heating out going vents using an untwisted paper clip to hang on the vent slats. They last FOREVER, and you can pick scents that compliment the room or feeling you are trying to invoke...like vanilla or apple pie in the kitchen, clean/fresh scents in the bathrooms, musk scents in the bedroom, etc!

I bought a bunch at Linens and Things (but now they're out of business!), Try Bed, Bath and Beyond, Target or similar places!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:27 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I like to use the new Febreeze Mr. Clean product all around the house. Its a temp. fix, but it does work. I live in a house that was built in 1942 (by the government for the workers that built the atomic bomb) so I have alot of old wood, plaster walls, and a very old attic, that seems to make my house have that old stale smell.

I also was using the plug ins, but the units never worked more than a couple of months. So I gave up on that answer. I know use 2 large candles, bought at Walmart in clean linen or cotton smell and they work well, along with using Febreeze Mr. Clean to wipe down all my surfaces, including the hardwood floors. I spray the mr. clean on the floor and use the swiffer to mop. LOL I'm a cheater.

My candles last a good long time, and sometimes I only burn one. But it works for me. :) I figure, even if it cost me $5 a month, for my house, its worth it. :) I hate yukky smells.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:13 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• boil water on the stove and put in bout 5-6 drops of liquid fabric softer it will smell your whole house right up :)
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 9:20 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• oh and do the old fashioned on your knees mopping with pinesol with febreeze will smell it right up as well
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 9:21 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Buy a coffee mug/candle warmer and sit your candle on it.....It will melt the entire candle and smell your whole house up...and the candle lasts forever.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:36 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I buy hazelnut coffee beans and put them in a nice bowl on my table with a hazelnut candle...my house smell like hazelnut coffee...I love it!
    audreybreier

Answer by audreybreier at 9:58 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• A small pan of water on the back of your stove, with some whole spices/herbs, coffee beans, even just a few drops of essential oils does wonders. Set it on low for a little while in the morning and/or evening.
    You can also add essential oils to clean wood shavings, this is basically the starting point for most potporri.
    Essential oils can be purchased at almost any natural foods store, Whole Foods, etc. A little expensive to start with but they last a long time and smell just like the ingredient they came from, without the chemical after-note some air freshener's have.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 10:04 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I've read that Gerber Daisies are natural air purifiers. IDK if that will keep your house smelling good though, mine died before I really found out. I do not have a green thumb. LOL
    littlemama810

Answer by littlemama810 at 10:05 AM on Jun. 18, 2009