TICKS!! My yard is INFESTED!!!

Ever since we moved in, any time someone walks through the grass, whether it's five steps, or circling the house, they come in and pull a TON of ticks off of their self. My dad found 8 on him one night, my hubby finds 7 or more anytime he works in the yard. I have yet to find any on me, but they are SOOOO tiny, if they get on my head I'll NEVER find them. How do I get rid of them as quickly and effectively as possible? We got some pesticide granules but I don't have a spreader so we're going to do it with a shovel. How in the world do I get any off of me if they are already in my hair????????

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 8:41 AM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Yea, the seed ticks are very very tiny. Kinda small and almost a red color. My husband, who is very hairy gets them when he hunts. We have to do "tick checks" on him for days bc its so easy to miss them. I guess you could take an entire bath in dish soap? LOL

I truly sympathize b/c I don't like the thot of ticks on me or babies.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 2:51 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• pull them off with tweezers get as close to the skin as possible, and to get rid of them you can get borax laundry soap and sprinkle it in the yard, its not as harmful as pesticides and it works just as effectively, also keep the grass cut low, it reduces a place for them to hide and you have to brush up against them to get them on you eliminating the long grass you have nothing to rub against. if that doesnt work call in a professional. but my yard was bad with them, we found a couple each day and my dd had been bit by one, we used the borazx and keep the grass as low as possible and havent found one in a long time, knock on wood ! i hate them things!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• oh and make sure its the powder form of borax you dont want liquid.
    Anonymous

• Our scouts get ticks everytime they go on a camping trip. The CDC sent us a dozen small packets to use to remove ticks ( they might send anyone else the same packet of removal tools), but they also recommended using plain old dish soap with applying with a q-tip and it actually worked!! Just dab the dish soap on, and the tick pulls itself out! Who would have thot such a simple idea would do it. I have always been afraid that using tweezers would end up leaving the head in.

Sevin dust can be bought at Home Depot or any home store, prob. even Walmart. It not only kills ticks but also dozens and dozens of other like pests. It is pesticide and is powder form, but I grew up with my dad using it for various reasons in our suburban neighborhood. I would try the borax first, but if that doesn't do it, you may have to use the big guns, Sevin. Ticks carry Lyme disease and it really is debilitating. Hope this helps. ;)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:06 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I guess I didn't clarify, but they are seed ticks or deer ticks, which means they are VERY TINY!! It's hard to spot one even of it's on your hand. Like I said, I would never be able to find one in my hair.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:08 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• We have the same problem this time every year. Go to Lowe's and by a treatment for your grass. It's granules that you use a spreader to apply. It takes care of the problem fast. We put it out every summer.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:15 AM on Jun. 18, 2009