How can I get my baby to hold her bottle?

djureidini

Asked by djureidini at 9:26 AM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine is 9 months and still has no desire to hold her bottle, so I've just accepted the fact that she doesn't want to hold her bottle. We are starting to practice with a sippy cup, and she does like to hold the handles on that, although she's not quite coordinated enough to do it herself.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 12:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• is therereally a need? if she's not doing it, she may not have an interest in doing it. there's never a need toi hold their own bottle.

she'll do it when she's ready!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:36 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• my son was never interested in it until he was 6mos...and I didn't have to "teach" him how to do it...he just up and did it one day...and sometimes even now he doesn't want to...

she'll do it when she's ready...she may not EVER hold her own bottle...some babies don't....it's not a milestone achievment or anything...
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 10:16 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I've never understood "why" mom's want their babies to hold their bottles. I always cherished feeding times and held my baby each time. Especially if you're not breast feeding, they need that time of close contact and bonding. I actually feel sad when I see babies feeding themselves their bottles, but that's just me.
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 10:26 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• There is no need nor should there be any want for a baby to hold their bottle. The caregiver should always be holding baby and the bottle during feeding time!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Why would you want your baby to hold his bottle and feed himself? Babies need that closeness when eating. Bottlefeeding is supposed to mimick breastfeeding. It's a special time for mom and baby.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 10:35 AM on Jun. 18, 2009